Sign in to follow this  
Jedan71

Squeal / high pitch noise

I have just developed a high pitch squeal from the engine area somewhere.

Car details , 318i E36 1.8 m43 engine 223k on its. Auto

the noise only appears when the car has warmed up.

the noise is at idle but disappears when revv'd

when driving as you rev, the sound goes but as you lift foot off pedal, once the car has started to slow, the noise comes back untill idle speed .

i have replaced water pump

i have removed all belts and ran it, te sound is there.

The origin is some in bay area but hard to pin point.

there is a black circle thing that sits on the middle of the manifild, cant see it in OEM, but it sits on the flange, 11611247772 part number. thats is hissing a lot. throw water on it, it gets blown away? does that mean anything.

there seems to be performace drop but hoping there are seperate issues.

I have checked under bay for anything obvious.

had it checked over but nobody can tell what the problem is and costing me a bomb, so wanted it get fixing first time round.

PLEASE HELP me.. losing my mind with the noise

Edited by Jedan71

I have found the source of the moving squeal/ Noise. So posting my results for reference

The noise is crankcase vacuum or sucking. This is caused by a faulty CVV/CCV/OSV/PCV all those different names listed on the internet.

You can diagnose quickly by removing the dipstick when the noise is occuring or remove filler cap and you find the engine sucking air in. Once open the idle goes even worse.

The difficult part of finding the problem is that everybody describes the fault different and the faulty part has so many names. Also never second hand as common fault on all models of BMW,

Crankcase vent valve - CVV

Crankcase vent valve - CCV

Oil seperation valve - OSV

Pressure control Valve - PCV

Hope this helps other drivers of this fault

Edited by Jedan71

I have found the source of the moving squeal/ Noise. So posting my results for reference

The noise is crankcase vacuum or sucking. This is caused by a faulty CVV/CCV/OSV/PCV all those different names listed on the internet.

You can diagnose quickly by removing the dipstick when the noise is occuring or remove filler cap and you find the engine sucking air in. Once open the idle goes even worse.

The difficult part of finding the problem is that everybody describes the fault different and the faulty part has so many names. Also never second hand as common fault on all models of BMW,

Crankcase vent valve - CVV

Crankcase vent valve - CCV

Oil seperation valve - OSV

Pressure control Valve - PCV

Hope this helps other drivers of this fault

Interesting Jedan

I have a similar problem in my 1994 e36 318, i found one hose to be stuffed so brought an new one from bmw in hastings bloody expensive vac hose it was $97. then found another crack in hose under the idle cover so repaired that using some super glue and heat shrink.... for the time being. but the car idles like crap and has a squeal thats dam right embarising. i thought it might have been my at fluid so checked and topped up but noise hasnt gone away. My belts could probably do with a change. but this also sheds new light on an on going problem so will try that in the morning and see if it works.

Thanks

Boon

Fairly sure any car with a MAF will idle erratically if you take the oil cap off, regardless if there's an issue with it?