Sign in to follow this  
Ben

E30 common rust spots?

Ive been on the hunt for a cheap E30 325i manual and Ive finally found one that looks promising

so just wondering where they usually rust.

I know sweet FA about them so school a noob with a mega E30 knowledge bomb :D

(Dont tell me to search, I want to hear from nz owners with nz vehicles

not some old usa thread)

Sorry in advance if my E30 noobness insults any of you

-Firewall, especially battery tray area, fuse box area and drainage hole where the elephant trunk is ( its besides the battery btw)

-A & C pillars

-Footwells

-Sunroof panel and drainage area

-Underneath Door sills

-Taillights surround

-Radio aerial surround

-Rear boot, check for specs of rust

-Windscreen rubber surround

Basically anywhere that pools water, drains water, or has a gasket to stop water from going in.

Have fun looking, remember to check exterior and interior (especially behind carpets) where those area are :D

f**king everywhere man haha avoid a sunroof model if you can cause they are half the bloody problem. The rust the boot up because by now the drain lines are clogged or some idiot has diconnected or blocked them. Avoid pre facelift, mine seems to be constantly rusting. Thatll teach me to buy a ex uk car that sat in a long grass for over a yearhaha

oh, NZ new models still rust, just go for a looked after model thats tidy in tight nooks and crannies, coz its hard to clean in there when its "for sale" time.

-Firewall, especially battery tray area, fuse box area and drainage hole where the elephant trunk is ( its besides the battery btw)

-A & C pillars

-Footwells

-Sunroof panel and drainage area

-Underneath Door sills

-Taillights surround

-Radio aerial surround

-Rear boot, check for specs of rust

-Windscreen rubber surround

^this

avoid a sunroof model if you can cause they are half the bloody problem. .... Avoid pre facelift, mine seems to be constantly rusting

I disagree, my car (PFL) and has a sunroof is almost rust free. Of course there are those little bits here and there but I have had a complete look over the car and cannot find anything structural. It entirely depends on the car and how it has been treated.

Good luck. A tidy, rust free one is hard to come by now days.