Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Advice on buying a 5 series

I'll sell you mine for 17K.

Jap import, 2001, Motorsport, Alpine white, 90% tread Bridgestone Adrenalins, 530i, 70,000kms

PM for infos :D

What are the details of your car Rustee? just trying to guage the accuracy of the value they gave you.

should sticky this thread lots of good info, on a superbly built car you pay the same as an older model corolla now.

What are the details of your car Rustee? just trying to guage the accuracy of the value they gave you.

I thought it was crazy given the very good condition and what not. Its a 1997 E36 320I auto, 140,000kms, Blue 4 door sedan, Immaculate 17"M3 mags, 18 button OBC, overall mint condition inside and out.

I'm unable to attatch pics for some reason but can send some if wanted.

Thanks for the offers of cars but my price range is about 15k, and I live down a gravel road so trying to get a colour of say blue or grey, although the black is nice its hard to maintain :rolleyes: would still get one though.

But yea thanks for all the help and advise, really good info.

Just listed my one on trademe, price is a little up there but expecting to be bargained down to about 6 ish hahaha, but 2K was just a joke. Will give it a good clean up and wax etc and put some more photos up later on.

Hi guys

Sorry to bring up an old thread again. Still have not purchased an E39 'yet' :rolleyes:

Was wondering is there a mechanical difference between the jap import and the NZ new E39's? Such as gearbox, driveline etc. I'd hate to think of ending up with another JATCO box hahaha

Has he told you it doesn't?

I'm 99% sure it will have cruise control unless its been disconnected?

Doesn't look like - no controls on steering wheel...

Has he told you it doesn't?

I'm 99% sure it will have cruise control unless its been disconnected?

No, the only question i asked was the one on the auction. I thought the cruise control was usually all setup on the steering wheel? maybe i should stop assuming lol. How do you set cruise control without the buttons on the wheel? Sorry for novice question

Steering wheel is the only place for cruise controls that I know of

Find out where the car has come from - imported. It may be a low spec Singapore car

Pics weren't working for me so couldn't see it..

But isn't it a 530i motorsport? Can't be low spec.

Pics are going now, it's an imported 1 owner with 95k so it'll be ex sing or jap..

Perhaps the airbag was deployed? as i'm sure the 01 came with the newer style steering wheel?

But looks weird without the controls, maybe a replica wheel?

Pics weren't working for me so couldn't see it..

But isn't it a 530i motorsport? Can't be low spec.

Pics are going now, it's an imported 1 owner with 95k so it'll be ex sing or jap..

Perhaps the airbag was deployed? as i'm sure the 01 came with the newer style steering wheel?

But looks weird without the controls, maybe a replica wheel?

Hmmm yeah its the only motorsport one i've seen listed without the steering wheel controls. Can they be converted? Also do you know what the mechanical differences are between the nz new vs jap/sing models?

Hmmm yeah its the only motorsport one i've seen listed without the steering wheel controls. Can they be converted? Also do you know what the mechanical differences are between the nz new vs jap/sing models?

I looked at a metric sh*t-tonne of E39s online and in the metal before I got mine. I noticed quite a few without steering wheel buttons on the older pre-20002 m-sport steering wheel like this one so I wouldn't say it is uncommon, but they were all jap imports. I never saw a later style M steering wheel (2002 onwards) without the buttons though.

As far as I know there isn't any difference mechanically, perhaps they used some local made Japanese parts though?

The one thing that puts me off jap cars is the key fob is infra-red rather than the wireless "diamond" shape key.

And now the multi-function wheel without functions.. Just weird..

Even in the auction listed above by tmase they say multi-function wheel, but no functions.

Yeah thats what i am afraid of, the japanese parts. What I'm mostly concerned about with japanese is the gearbox, if it is a japa gearbox I think I'm better off waiting for a NZ new one to come up, even though they are usually a little less specd.

My understanding is mechanically they are exactly the same.

The only difference would be nav/radio abilities.

The only benefit to an NZ New car is service history - although there are equally well maintained Jap imports available if you take your time to look for one.

(and equally poorly maintained NZ New cars....)

My understanding is mechanically they are exactly the same.

The only difference would be nav/radio abilities.

The only benefit to an NZ New car is service history - although there are equally well maintained Jap imports available if you take your time to look for one.

(and equally poorly maintained NZ New cars....)

Cheers for that, thats my main concern. I have been looking at getting one for months, but just havn't found the right one. Its gutting when you go check out a really tidy, good spec E39, pull the oil fill cap off and straight away you can tell it has suffered from lack of service lol. Hopefully I can go check this black one out in the weekend and see what its like.

That looks like a good buy around the reserve price, but a shame it has no Nav / Cruise control.

Someone like Ray (HellBM) could help get you a MF wheel installed though.

Cheers for that, thats my main concern. I have been looking at getting one for months, but just havn't found the right one. Its gutting when you go check out a really tidy, good spec E39, pull the oil fill cap off and straight away you can tell it has suffered from lack of service lol. Hopefully I can go check this black one out in the weekend and see what its like.

Yeah it is a shame about the sat/nav etc, are they able to be fitted, I know its a lot of effort but can it be done? hahaha im always keen for a mission. So it is possible to fit a multi function wheel to these cars? If i do get the car i'd have to hit Ray up, hes got everything lol

Only thing with retrofitting is the cost, the few thou you will spend couldve gone towards an e39 that has it already I'm sure if it doesn't have nav/screen you have to put in a new loom.

Not sure what's needed with cruise control/steering wheel but might be better off finding one that has it already.

If you do get it think about that new android based dynavin unit, looks pretty good. Will be on my list if I keep my e39.

Check out the thread about the dynavin

Edited by shaneg