Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

A few minor issues with e30.

First issue is water getting into the car, the only part of the car that is wet is the passanger footwell and the rear seat left footwell and this fulls up with water when it rains. Door rubber looks ok and so does sunroof rubber but perhaps it might need replacing?

Second issue is a squeky belt of some sort, the belt only squeks when the engine is cold, when the car has just gone through a puddle or when im decelarate and rpm goes over 3k. I had a look at the belts and are pretty loose just not sure on how to tighten them as there is no visible tensioner. I also thought it could be the Viscous van coupling as my father had the same issue replaced his fan coupling and problem was solved?

Lastly is the motor itself is going through oil like crazy! I plan to one day put a m20b25 in there but for now just need it to go, i know the rings/valve stems are f**ked and wondered if that engine stop burn oil treatment would be a good solution for the next 5000km or so.

Cheers

Mitch

there will be a big nut on the alternator or whatever bracket, loosen that and push the alt/ac/whatever towards the guard more 'til the belts tighter, then tighten the nut up.

Passenger footwell..check where the bonnet release cable goes thru the firewall up the top... it should have a rubber gromet. just get a new one or gunk it up if it doesn't. check all other holes in firewall etc make sure its all sealed(good time to look for rust aswell)

Just keep toping up your oil/stop revving it heaps or run a thicker oil if you dont care about the motor, wont do a old M20 too much harm anyway theyre pretty hearty

Water could also be coming in under the door due to tatty / non existent plastic between door card and door frame.

Both my frront footwells get wet (if you push or scrap hard on the carpet, you could nearly swim)...now I know where to look...sweet.

Both my frront footwells get wet (if you push or scrap hard on the carpet, you could nearly swim)...now I know where to look...sweet.

also apparently under the battery tray in the engine bay is another prone place for rust and water to come through

Also check the sunroof drains. If where the drains attach to the cage is rusted then the water will drip down the rear pillars, down behind the rear seats, and into the footwell, or down the front pillars into the footwell.

The rubber around the sunroof won't stop all the water when it is raining, rather it stops it coming inside and any excess goes down the drains.

I had the wet footwell problem in my old e30, it was the "elephant trunk" that comes out of the firewall into the engine bay just behind the right front strut. It's the drain for the sunroof, it gets clogged up with 20 years worth of sh*t, just pull it off and clean it out and pop it back on.

That worked fine for me (only causes the drivers side to flood iirc). Google it, pretty sure theres a fair bit of info on the net about it, but they called it passenger side (for obvious reasons).

Worth a try.