Sign in to follow this  
SlaterSpawn

Easiest and cheapest option for the e30

Hey guys, I have been told that I might have a dead throttle position sensor in my e30, the cars revs drop down every now and then and sometimes stalls, normally when its in park, neutral or in reverse with no blips off the throttle. Can anyone help me out with this and if it is a dead throttle position sensor, how can I get my hands on one and for how much?

Thanks

Edited by -Bradiff-

Hey Guys, went in this car today and stalls quite a bit. Anyone got any ideas. I don't think it'd be the throttle position sensor but where are the experts? =)

bring it around can have a look if you like

papakura

You're doing the right thing - getting a firm diagnosis. Could be your TPS or could be vacuum leak or fuel issue. If it is the TPS then cheapest easiest option is to swap in a good second hand TPS.

Brad,

The TPS is definitely dead (It's my old car BTW). In the E30 the TPS is more of a switch. It switches one way at low-throttle and idle, switches nothing through the midrange and then switches the other way when you near full throttle.

I had a circuit tester on it and it's functioning fine at full throttle, but I'm getting no signal near idle. That's also why you can't access the diagnostic mode on the ECU because it's not registering the throttle presses that you need to do to put the car into diagnostic display.

When I bridged out the connector to fake the idle signal on the TPS, the idle smoothed right out and returned to normal. So yeah, first step would be to definitely replace the TPS and go from there :)

I've also noticed that there's a split on the intake pipe from the throttle body to the AFM so that could also be affecting it on top of the TPS. Now I just gotta search around and find the bits and pieces for it.