Sign in to follow this  
lukep88

ABS/ASC Lights on Intermittently 1996 E39 523i

Hey guys,

The ABS and ASC lights have started showing on and off - always together. Sometimes they're on - sometimes they're off.

Car is a 1996 523ia E39.

Any ideas? Could it be one of the wheel sensors? Or could it be the ABS module?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

:mellow:

It will need scanning to diagnose the fault. Needs fault codes and live data check.

It will need scanning to diagnose the fault. Needs fault codes and live data check.

Thanks for that - seems like I need to get a Peake reader. Any ideas where to get one from? Can't be bothered paying $45 each scan at BMW! Thanks in advance. :D

As Glenn says, a scan is the best option, but a quick Google will suggest that 'mosty' of the time it is the ABS module - due to position in the car ( above the hot exhaust manifold ) dry solder joins happen in the ABS module.

This often shows as a sensor error in scans anyway ......

In my car, I got the guys at Anything Electronic in Nelson to do a repair, which lasted 6 months then failed, they did it again, lasted another 6 months, same again, they gave up !!

I bought a used unit from Kerry at Mosen Hamilton, and fitted that myself, so far no more issues.

Be aware if you get a brand new unit, it will need coded, as they are uncoded.

A used unit will also need coded if from different model, but I got one from the same model as mine, and no coding was necessary.

Oh and if you want to go new, they are heaps cheaper ex USA, but need to be careful that you get the correct unit.

As Glenn says, a scan is the best option, but a quick Google will suggest that 'mosty' of the time it is the ABS module - due to position in the car ( above the hot exhaust manifold ) dry solder joins happen in the ABS module.

This often shows as a sensor error in scans anyway ......

In my car, I got the guys at Anything Electronic in Nelson to do a repair, which lasted 6 months then failed, they did it again, lasted another 6 months, same again, they gave up !!

I bought a used unit from Kerry at Mosen Hamilton, and fitted that myself, so far no more issues.

Be aware if you get a brand new unit, it will need coded, as they are uncoded.

A used unit will also need coded if from different model, but I got one from the same model as mine, and no coding was necessary.

Oh and if you want to go new, they are heaps cheaper ex USA, but need to be careful that you get the correct unit.

Epic - thanks for the reply. Yeah I buy alot from Kerry - he's a good guy.

How much did he charge for the module? I might have a go at cleaning the sensors over the weekend.

Cheers

Luke

Epic - thanks for the reply. Yeah I buy alot from Kerry - he's a good guy.

How much did he charge for the module? I might have a go at cleaning the sensors over the weekend.

Cheers

Luke

From memory it was $500 plus freight and GST

i use a guy in takanini to repair those abs units .normally ok , costs about $150+

If you're not willing to spend $45 on a scan dont bother trying to fix the problem.

You WILL just waste money fixing this and replacing that because someone said thats what happened to them, or you have a "sneaky feeling" and you Will end up going round in circles.

Sorry i dont mean to be rude but ive seen it too many times where people have just started fixing and replacing bits with no real idea of what the problem is, and realistically $45 is not much money to spend if it leads you straight to the problem (which it more or less will.) Especially if you are considering replacing the the module of a cost of perhaps a couple of hundred dollars as people have been suggesting with no idea if this is the problem at all.

Edited by -Oli-

If you're not willing to spend $45 on a scan dont bother trying to fix the problem.

You WILL just waste money fixing this and replacing that because someone said thats what happened to them, or you have a "sneaky feeling" and you Will end up going round in circles.

Sorry i dont mean to be rude but ive seen it too many times where people have just started fixing and replacing bits with no real idea of what the problem is, and realistically $45 is not much money to spend if it leads you straight to the problem (which it more or less will.) Especially if you are considering replacing the the module of a cost of perhaps a couple of hundred dollars as people have been suggesting with no idea if this is the problem at all.

Absolutely spot on... I totaly agree