Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Alignment issues

I just got springs fitted and had an alignment.

Now i am at a 20 degree angle (right) with the wheel to go straight. If you let go it pulls to the left.

So I take it back and tell them that alignment is out. Just got it back and it seems to not pull to the left as much, but the wheel is still hard out to the right to drive straight!

Are these guys just jokes and dont know what they are doing?

Do i have to drop another $50 at a better place?

On top of that the fat mechanic broke my seat!

Now i am at a 20 degree angle (right) with the wheel to go straight. If you let go it pulls to the left.

So I take it back and tell them that alignment is out. Just got it back and it seems to not pull to the left as much, but the wheel is still hard out to the right to drive straight!

sounds as though they've aligned it with one wheel pointing straight to begin with- therefore the rack isnt centralised (made adjusments to one side only, if you get what i mean)

My last mini had been done like this when the last guy put a new rack and pinion in, it subsequently has almost twice the turning circle turing left as it does right.......

just go back

give the fat guy a pat on the back too, must have been a huge effort to get his ass outta there after a seat collapsing underneath his girth :puke: :thumbsdown:

Did the BM Workshop fit the springs? If so, who broke the seat?

Where did you get your alignment done? I have had my last 2 done at Newmarket Tyre Services. They seem pretty good (it is where I have bought my last two lots of tyres from as well).

Cheers

Grant

BMWorkshop wanted $360 to fit them. Understandable i spose as they are so busy, that's what skilled labour time is worth.

Na *cough cough* Mag n Turbo fitted and aligned.

Im not gonna take it back again.

Is this just a sh*t job?

Is this just a sh*t job?

Sounds like it to me.

Get them to re-align the wheels, they should do it for free, and also get it right.

Cheers

Grant

...Na *cough cough* Mag n Turbo fitted and aligned...

I'm sure someone told you not to go there!!!

Chr!st, I've done better alignments than that in my garage with a piece of string!!!

What springs did you go with in the end??

Mag n Turbo

Thats your problem right there. Just take it back until they fix it. Have they at least taken it for a road test? What did the alignment specs look like?

Thats your problem right there. Just take it back until they fix it. Have they at least taken it for a road test? What did the alignment specs look like?

Yeah specs... um i thought i was missing something.

Now i remeber last time i had one done, (it was very good), they gave me a print out etc. Nothing like that this time.

I know people warned me. I have warned people myself! But they were cheap to install springs!

I went with Jamex 40mm. Its not that that low, but definately looks way better. 60mm would have been too low i reckon, something inbetween, (or facelift rear arches) would be a dream.

Ride quality is almost the same. I have a few mods to 'reveal' soon...

Are your sure one spring is not sitting in its seat properly, this is what happens with lowered springs and standard shox, Used to happen to us boys back in the day when we used to cut springs. id say thats what ya problem is, but dont quote me on that, jack it up and hava look if they are sitting in there properly

Are your sure one spring is not sitting in its seat properly, this is what happens with lowered springs and standard shox, Used to happen to us boys back in the day when we used to cut springs. id say thats what ya problem is, but dont quote me on that, jack it up and hava look if they are sitting in there properly

oh yeah?

And if its not? have to take it out again?

Na you might be able to twist is back round into the cup otherwise yeah you ull have to take it out again and make sure when u compress the spring back in its in place,

Guest Andrew

meh i'd just take the wheel off and move it 20 deg in the right direction.. sorted :P

If it's just your steering wheel out of alignment then take it off and shift it until it's right :D

Yeah, but then the rack isn't centered!!!

It needs a proper alignment and make sure they re-center the rack!!

Guest Andrew

Yeah, but then the rack isn't centered!!!

It needs a proper alignment and make sure they re-center the rack!!

heh i know i was being rangi

Frank Allen Tyres fixed my sh*t.

Cheers to Jimocles for the hook up.

They said spec weren't too bad, but they didnt know how the messed up the steering wheel.

Now i can get a new wheel ^_^