Sign in to follow this  
kiwimalayalee

E38 Remote key

hi ya all,

2 days ago my brother passed me my keys by throwing it, and accidently it fell on to the concrete floor....

since then the key doesn't work..... i am able to lock unlock the car via the remote but i cannot turn the ignition on... the lights all turn on......

using the master key (without the remotes) i am able to turn on the engine......

yesterday i searched online and found out the following steps

1 Enter the vehicle and close the driver's door

2 Briefly (max. 5 seconds) turn the ignition key to position 1 in the steering lock, then return it to position 0

3 Remove key; press and hold down button 1 (see illustration). Maintain pressure on button 1 while rapidly pressing button 2 three times in succession within a period of 10 seconds

4 Release button 1, LED 3 will flash slowly for a maximum of 10 seconds

5 The central locking system activates and releases all lock mechanisms in rapid succession to indicate that the initialization procedure has been successfully completed.

i got the step 5 working but cannot turn on the ignition........

another weird mystery is that straight away after i turn off the engine with the master key, i am able to use the keys with the remote to turn the engine on once..... after that the key doesn't work

The micro chip in the key for EWS has probably failed

What are my options?

Probably a new key- get it checked

Get module 68 (EWS) scanned.

You're looking for an error "Transponder Key not present" or any other EWS fault.

Error will go something like.

Error 4 data kommunication error S/E-module with key # 0 (key number)

Error frequency : XX (number of times the error has occured)

Static error

I would be happy to scan it for you if you were in auckland to confirm the error. Im currently collecting data around the EWS. I cant fix it for you, for that youll need to follow glenns advice.

getting a new key....?

how costly are they....? i have the diamond shaped one, and would like to get the same, if i have to...... as i need to give the master key bak to my dad.....

getting a new key....?

how costly are they....? i have the diamond shaped one, and would like to get the same, if i have to...... as i need to give the master key bak to my dad.....

Glenn has mentioned the key, but he has also mentioned get it checked

so get it checked, if you are unsure.. then price up the key

as for the cost call bmw