Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

CL 500

CL 500

What would be involved getting this on the road? Could be a cheap toy for someone, about 220kw?!?!

I'd make it into a pseudo DTM car.... like a pace car.

Couldn't imagine it being particularly sporty though... quiet heavy aren't the early 2000s CLs?

Edited by E36V8

Just checked it up :

CL 500 5.0 L V8 225 kW (306 PS; 302 hp) 460 N·m (339 lb·ft) 6.3 seconds 250 km/h (155 mph)

Not entirely bad, but I'd imagine it being pretty heavy yeah. The 460nm will push it along ok though, the CL 65 V12 bi-turbo comes out with 450kw and 1000nm lol

The CL 500 would make a great tourer.

dats damn cheap for the car. what would be needed and cost to get that on the road?

reminds me of last weeks Top Gear episode. Cheap enough for the amount of equipment, but when things break...

CL 500 5.0 L V8 225 kW (306 PS; 302 hp) 460 N·m (339 lb·ft) 6.3 seconds 250 km/h (155 mph)

God engines have come a looooooooong way.

Not quite sure what you're getting at with that. Are you saying it's under powered?

You must not forget that the CL500 of that era was just the 'entry level' of that higher end range Mercedes model, the power and torque it made was perfectly fine for the market it was targeting, 225kw was plenty for it's intended purpose. If someone wanted a more sporty go hard machine they have the options of the Mercedes V8 supercharged/ V12 Twin turbo etc.

Yup, Kia Rio Diesel 1.5 DOHC turbo 81kw 235nm in a car that weighs about as much as a fart.

Not quite sure what you're getting at with that. Are you saying it's under powered?

My 80s toyota develops the exact same specific output per litre (45kw). I understand 225kw was plenty for the application (no doubt this is a very quick car) and there were models with much more, but in 2011 terms, the output per litre is bad. Obviously there's a zillion reasons for that (DI, boosting, VVT yadda yadda yadda).

My original comment was purely in relation to specific output