Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

235's on ann E30?

Hi Y'all. We got some 16' tyres, lets say they std offset, think they are a 7" rim.

Stock std car, 90 520i.

Will 235's fit with no dramas?

Where looking at getting some springs and shocks for it in the near future, but not lowering it substantially

Prob HannR sports or HD.

But how do 235's fit under e30 guards?

Oh and whats the rolling height gunner be?

16 x50? 45's?

I'd like a bit of cushion with the tyres on the rim, certain daughter tends to scrape the nice 18's on her daddys car!

Otherwise fine!

Do you mean a '90 320i....

I ran 225/45 R16 on an 16x7" et28 rim with no rubbing anywhere.

Pretty sure a 235 won't come in that profile & a /50 will be too tall.

A 205/50 is also an option to look at

205/55 is an option too. i had those on hartge rims and no rubbing, lowered on H&R and bilsteins

comes down to how stiff your suspension is going to be to a certain extent in regard to rubbing

205/55 is an option too. i had those on hartge rims and no rubbing, lowered on H&R and bilsteins

comes down to how stiff your suspension is going to be to a certain extent in regard to rubbing

I found them too tall on a 16" rim.

Peeled a front guard out pulling into a driveway with them.

On the rear wouldn't have the same issue though.

I found them too tall on a 16" rim.

Peeled a front guard out pulling into a driveway with them.

On the rear wouldn't have the same issue though.

yeah its a disputed topic. my front end was quite stiff, so i think the rear opposite corner spring compressed rather than the front attacking wheel as i never got gaurd rub when turning into driveways etc. i wouldnt get that size again though, but its possible to use those if you have to

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

okay....

So width is not going to be much of an issue if I pull the profile down to a 40 or 45?

And yeah sorry it's an e30 3-20i, not a 520.

There's not much differnce with 235's from 225's, just a little bit wider.

I put 235x18x40's on my e34, rims off an e53 X5 with 20mm spacers (TMS) and she manages to scrape the rims on mine all the time. I'll go for something wider next time.

Haven't bought them yet, gunner start looking around.

tyre firms including fit and balance $? vs ebay plus fit and balance $?

I have a wish list for her car, just cant help myself, I have to drive it occasionally!

But cheers Y'all

Are you wanting wide tyres to try and prevent kerb scrapage??

A wider tyre isn't necessarily going to do that for your.

You are better off looking at the various brands of tyres to see which has a bigger (is any) rim protector.

IIRC the old Dunlop FM-901's use to have massive rim protectors (~10mm out from the lip).

Tirerack tech info

I think the Bridgestone RE-001's have a bit of protection, as do some of the Falkens' (FK-451)

Profile relates to sidewall height, and has next to no impact on tyre width among the same tyre brand. It's the 205-235 that makes the diffence in width.

I had 205/55s that only JUST fit. When i brought new tyres, I was told that 235s wouldn't fit after they went through a series of calculations to try. There just isnt the room in a standard e30 well. Like I sai

D, I haven't experience with this, but this is what a techy I trust showed and told me

the profile of a tyre is calculated as a percentage of the tread width so a wider tyre will require a smaller profile percentage ie 205-55 or 225-45.

but yeah if any says a tech showed him then i would roll with that.

just run a smaller width tyre.

I had 205s an they had enough grip for an m52b28 for street use. If you want 235s, flaring the rear guards will be your only option

Cheers guys, i saw some Falkens that have beads to protect the rims from gutter rash!

Just doing the sums, about $280 a pair, plus delivery to WA $150 a pair, plus fitting and balance $40 each?

My daughter works for supercheap, so she can get trade at some places, which might win out over ebay this time.

Also sum nice dunlops for slightly more.

Think if we were buying local weed go yoko or similar.

not really a performance car!

But by your advice I'll look at 225-40's. or 205's even cheaper!

easier if we buy them local maybe?

Not interested in flaring the guards or messing with the body. This little baby is so original, still got 5 gold basketweaves, including the spanner, 2nd owner. Old man first owner spent a bucket on it, new head, trans ann more! I'll go as far as replacing the suspension, and maybe a set of headers and a new exhaust.

Cheers Y'all