Sign in to follow this  
vanossa

40% excessive fuel usage

1993' e36 325i Coupe (UK import) 230000Km. Hi. I track my fuel regularly and have noticed over the last two tanks it has increased by about 40% for no known reason. I commute on the open road daily and it is not usual for me to drive outside of this routine. Where I live the outside temperature drops below zero on some mornings when I am driving to work, but I still would'nt think this is the source of the 'over-consumption'. Would anyone have any suggestions or prior experience on this? T.I.A.

Edited by vanossa

There isn't a leak somewhere is there? I've seen a 50% reduction in fuel consumption when the hole in the gas tank was plugged....

does the engine come up to temp quickly?? like half gauge within say 5min??

is it running rough ( rough idle) or missing running on 5cylinders etc??

any black smoke from the exhaust .

when was the air flilter changed , whats teh condition of the spark plugs etc . is there fule in the vaccuum line that contects to the fuel pressure reg ,

yes also check for fuel leaks.

air flow meter falure??

engine temp sensor falure??

what sort of millage are you getting on a full tank??

does the engine come up to temp quickly?? like half gauge within say 5min??

is it running rough ( rough idle) or missing running on 5cylinders etc??

any black smoke from the exhaust .

when was the air flilter changed , whats teh condition of the spark plugs etc . is there fule in the vaccuum line that contects to the fuel pressure reg ,

yes also check for fuel leaks.

air flow meter falure??

engine temp sensor falure??

what sort of millage are you getting on a full tank??

Hi. Thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions. 1: No the engine temp does not come up to half gauge unless I am driving below 60 or 50kph. I drive straight off at 80 to 100kph (highway commute 45kms oneway) every morning after a short 1km journey to highway, and it never reaches much above the blue (I have recently done a basic service....Oil, Filter, Coolant flush. 2: It is not running rough on idle or at all. 3: No black smoke from exhaust. 4: Not adept at checking spark plug condition or checking fuel in the vacuum line. 5: No fuel leaks detected from fuel tank. 6: Have not checked for fault codes. 7: Normally getting (until recently) around 8.6L/100km. (or you can check this on Fuelly.com link). Cheers.

Edited by vanossa

Hi. Thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions. 1: No the engine temp does not come up to half gauge unless I am driving below 60 or 50kph. I drive straight off at 80 to 100kph (highway commute 45kms oneway) every morning after a short 1km journey to highway, and it never reaches much above the blue (I have recently done a basic service....Oil, Filter, Coolant flush. 2: It is not running rough on idle or at all. 3: No black smoke from exhaust. 4: Not sure on spark plug condition (yet) 5: Not adept at checking Fuel in the vacuum line. 5: No fuel leaks detected. 6: Have not checked for fault codes. 7: Normally getting (until recently) around 8.6L/100km. (or you can check this on Fuelly.com link). Cheers.

maybe its time to replace your thermostat so the engine comes up to temp quickly overwise its running on choke etc.

also check the other things i mentioned .

8.6l per 100km is pretty good for one of those.

i normally get around 11.5 to 12l per 100km for around use etc

but can do around 8-9l per 100km on a trip

maybe its time to replace your thermostat so the engine comes up to temp quickly overwise its running on choke etc.

also check the other things i mentioned .

8.6l per 100km is pretty good for one of those.

i normally get around 11.5 to 12l per 100km for around use etc

but can do around 8-9l per 100km on a trip

Ok. I think that is a good 'cheap start' to replace the thermostat. Also I will check the other things mentioned. Yes I have been proud of the L/km and that is why it 'horrifies' me to be using so much more. It may take a while for me to work through the above maintenance, but I will check back with the results asap. Thank you.