Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

ACS wheels

Hi guys

i brought some new tyres for the wagon as the rear two were toast. So i have the ones on the front moved to the back to chew them up, and the rims with the new tyres put on the front. So now the rims that were on the back are on the front and viseversa.

My question, could you buy 17" ACS type 1s in non staggered arrangement?

reason i ask is about a month or two ago the rear end kicked out on my in a corner not under power or anything though it was raining, and also the front steering seems heavier than my 525i, and i dont remember it being that heavy when i dailied it.

I saw Ian540i's signature and saw his are staggered, and thought i wonder if thats the reason???

They are 17" authentic rims, but i have no idea what the offset or width is, they are rwd though, and brought new from BMW NZ back when they stocked these.

cheers

It is probably easiest to take off a front and rear and check the specs on the back. Either that or put them side by side. This should tell you immediately whether they are different or not.

Edited by zenetti

As Johno said easiest way to check is take them off and have a look.

Mine are e39 fitment and Type II. I believe Lance (melowpuf) has genuine type I e34 fitment, but cant remember if his were staggered.

Perhaps PM him or wait for him to chime in

Oh well that explains it then. It must just be because the tyres a a lot more grippy up front than the crap ones I used to have ha. They look the same size. I'll check them out when I get q chance. Thanks guys!

Read your owners manual, putting tyres off the front on the rear is a NO because suspension geometry is completely different. Been BMW policy since 1970's.

Tread wear on the front is generally on the shoulders where as on the rears it tends to be on the inside or centre depending on how well your suspension is set up and how well it is set up for how you drive.

So when you puts ex fronts on the rear you are effectively fitting a skinny tyre until the tyre wears to match the rear suspension geometry.

This might explain your lack of traction, old hard or crap tyres may also be part contributing factors- check the date code and the tread wear figure/ traction ratings.

Staggered rims set up are generally an inch wider on the rear which is easy to spot.

Unfortunately, when owning bimmersport this old, the owners manuals are long gone lol.

I am aware of this, but I rotate my tyres every 5000kms or so to counter it.

Lack of traction only happened once and I t was raining so it's that to blame in this I think.

Thanks for your input though

Oh I think you didn't understand my tone of voice lol wasn't an attack. I thought doing what I did would make them wear evenly, I can't see how it doesn't though?

Thats a risk with using LOL the intent is now ambiguous and open to interpretation

As to the wear issues it's as pointed out in the previous response, plenty of previous discussion on this forum about it.

Tyre rotation belongs with live/ beam axle set ups which went from decent cars back in the 70's. Some trucks still use them.

For interests sake does that include fwd cars?