Sign in to follow this  
BadBm_

overheating (e36)328i

I don't get it, so im driving normally and then i see my temp gauge go up up up and nearly till it hits red and then comes down again. This has been happening for a while and today i was on the motorway and it went to red and then i had to get of at the next exit and then i see it coming down and was back to normal and i was like what the ?

was it overheated while moving very slowly ?? could be the viscous fan not working properly.

or a failing thermostat (staying shut)

or water pump empellor spining on the shaft

also check for coolant leaks , around water pump , hoses , radiator and coolant tank

and any plastic coolant pipes and fittings

i would suggest you get all these things checked/replaced and dont drive it

some info here

I just had new radiator fitted and re fitted recently by Glen and his team at botany motorworx shouldn't be any radiator leaks ? also had a new Auxiliary Fan fitted also by Glen and his team

also had thermostat housing done by them also which i should of got thermostat changed to

so maybe it thermostat or water pump ?

Edited by BadBm_

That wasn't a new radiator that was fitted by the previous repairer, it was 2nd hand. When you had this problem :

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0&start=0

We replaced the alternator belt idler bearing, alternator belt and replaced the cracked thermostat housing. The radiator was never removed. We did pressure test the system after these repairs and there were no leaks at the time. This repair was done on the 21st of January. The auxillary electric fan which had a broken fan blade we replaced for you about 3 weeks later. You supplied this and it was working at the time.

It may be a faulty water pump impellor which we advised to be checked when we first checked the vehicle back on the 18th October last year. I can't remember off hand what exactly the other repairer replaced for you after we had checked it for you. Did they check or replace the water pump ? I suggest you don't drive it anymore until it is checked properly, because you could end up doing more damage.

Edit: We checked the thermostat when we replaced the cracked housing. I'm not sure if it had been replaced by the previous repairer though. With the overheating, it could now be faulty though.

Edited by *Glenn*

thanks for your input Glen appreciate it and no they didnt replace water pump

Ok today i had noticed my powersteering fluid was low filled it up and the car been normal today no overheating etc,

would no fluid cause overheating >? or was in my lucky day ? and also today my car was at operating temp and i drove for 5 minutes in morning (very cold) but my temp dropped from half way(operating temp) to back down quarter way to cold is that normal ?

Edited by BadBm_

thanks for your input Glen appreciate it and no they didnt replace water pump

Ok today i had noticed my powersteering fluid was low filled it up and the car been normal today no overheating etc,

would no fluid cause overheating >? or was in my lucky day ? and also today my car was at operating temp and i drove for 5 minutes in morning (very cold) but my temp dropped from half way(operating temp) to back down quarter way to cold is that normal ?

Glenn has told you to get it checked properly and don't drive it,

get it checked or save up for a replacemnt engine

i would say its a combination of both thermostat and waterpump. but you should be changing either one when replacing one of those anyway. you should stop driving it and get it fixed unless you like to be one of those on the side of the motorway looking like an idiot.

my blown up plastic waterpump from my e36:

symptoms:

erratic water temp. one minute its red one min its fine.

when at the stop light it would creep up to red.

expansion tank would be cold while other parts of the cooling system are hot.

Posted Image

also once the thermostats get real hot once they become unreliable ... just get it inand get it replaced with the water pump , both items are a serviceable item like oil and filters but maybe every 5-8 years etc??

check glen on that one