Sign in to follow this  
dereklau007

E39 Auto Dim Mirrors

Currently my wing mirrors are a bit of a mismatch (one has a gold tint and the other doesn't). I was about to purchase a pair of heated and blue tinted mirror glass replacements but on closer inspection both actually have the auto dim feature.

My question is can I still install non auto dim mirror glass to my wing mirrors? I'll have to unplug the harness for the auto dim feature which will leave it exposed behind the glass but can connect the mirror heating function still.

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers,

Derek

Edited by Derek007

yes just unplug etc , no proplems , will work with either type.

matter of interest how much are the mirror glasses

yes just unplug etc , no proplems , will work with either type.

matter of interest how much are the mirror glasses

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the quick reply. So I don't have to worry about water getting into the exposed plug? Or should I just tape them up with electrical tape?

I'm getting after market mirror glasses made by Schmiedmann group. I can get them for $99 for a pair and they are blue tint, heated aspheric types.

Cheers,

Derek

You could wipe a bit of silicon rtv over the open plug,

It would be waterproof when set and is easily picked out with a small screwdriver if you ever wanted to reconnec

t

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the quick reply. So I don't have to worry about water getting into the exposed plug? Or should I just tape them up with electrical tape?

I'm getting after market mirror glasses made by Schmiedmann group. I can get them for $99 for a pair and they are blue tint, heated aspheric types.

Cheers,

Derek

New Auto Tint (Electro Chromatic) mirrors are like $1000 each from memory from BMW.

They may have come down in price since then.

Edited by Yankus