Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

e30 front valance/lip thing PFL

Hey guys, i need a front valance/lip bit for the race car, it needs to be a standard pre facelift valance, and it is not the type with the little grille bit in, it is the other one.

I have attached a picture of the one i currently have, it is the wrong one, the mounting screws are in different places and this one is longer so protrudes into the front wheel area.

Cheers

Oli

post-1845-1312893258.jpg

Edited by -Oli-

I have attached a picture of the one i currently have, it is the wrong one, the mounting screws are in different places and this one is longer so protrudes into the front wheel area.

The one in the photo is the later pre-facelift, you need the early pre-facelift. Confusing eh? There were two versions of the chrome bumper / pre-facelift cars! Sorry, don't have one. But would consider taking that one off your hands for the right price??

I have one.

Originally had the wrong one for mine (bought the shorter one needed the longer one).

It is now surplus to requirements. Make me an offer?

Cheers,

Johnathan

The one in the photo is the later pre-facelift, you need the early pre-facelift. Confusing eh? There were two versions of the chrome bumper / pre-facelift cars! Sorry, don't have one. But would consider taking that one off your hands for the right price??

I was not aware there were two PFL versions but it makes a bit of sense considering the early PFL E30's had digital clocks and the later PFL's had an analogue. Also the front lip.

Are you able to shed a little light on the two versions (ie Years in production and other differences)?

I am no expert on all the differences between the two, but I have found a few from buying a very early E30 for a parts car.

The biggest difference I have come across is on the front valence and skirt (as Oli has found here), which also affects the plastic under tray and even the inner wheel arch protectors. Early cars have the steel valence in two parts, later version is single piece, all the other parts change and are NOT easily interchangeable.

Very early L-jets have all sorts of extra vacuum hoses and piping all over the place, which seems to dis-appear on the later versions of L-jet (320) engines.

There are probably a lot of other small changes, in the trims, interior, etc. but I haven't found them all yet.

The first version of the pre-facelift seems to run from the start of the E30s in 1982 through to about late '85 production, the second version then ran through until the more obviousl "facelift" changes in late '87 production for the '88 model year.