Sign in to follow this  
xcalibur

Strange Sounds when passing a hump

Hi Guys, can anybody help me out please. I have a BMW528i 1998 and have been having this problem for over a year now and I have been to BMWorkshop (New North Road, Auckland) and Pit Stop (Greenlane) to have the problem diagnose but to no avail. The problem is this: Everytime I pass a small or big hump I hear a strange sound coming from the bottom but I couldn't exactly pinpoint as to where exactly. The sound it produces is similar to coins in a purse when you shake it. BMWorkshop said it could be stones or pebbles lodge inside the shock absorbers but I doubt it. Other threads I have read suggests it coud be a loose heat shield? The sound is really annoying and hoping anyone of you my bimmersport brothers could help me out. Thanks heaps guys!!!

I have the similar issue with E46, but mine is much worse, i sometimes hear this continuous metallic rattle when going on bumpy road or on the road that has a slope to the right. The rattling disappears when i press on the brakes a little. Pinned it down to a loose rear right inner break pad.... Have no idea why it is not secured in place properly... The anti rattle clip seems to be in place... Brakes work well...

So try applying brakes when you hear the rattle / clanking.

Hi Guys, can anybody help me out please. I have a BMW528i 1998 and have been having this problem for over a year now and I have been to BMWorkshop (New North Road, Auckland) and Pit Stop (Greenlane) to have the problem diagnose but to no avail. The problem is this: Everytime I pass a small or big hump I hear a strange sound coming from the bottom but I couldn't exactly pinpoint as to where exactly. The sound it produces is similar to coins in a purse when you shake it. BMWorkshop said it could be stones or pebbles lodge inside the shock absorbers but I doubt it. Other threads I have read suggests it coud be a loose heat shield? The sound is really annoying and hoping anyone of you my bimmersport brothers could help me out. Thanks heaps guys!!!

I have the similar issue with E46, but mine is much worse, i sometimes hear this continuous metallic rattle when going on bumpy road or on the road that has a slope to the right. The rattling disappears when i press on the brakes a little. Pinned it down to a loose rear right inner break pad.... Have no idea why it is not secured in place properly... The anti rattle clip seems to be in place... Brakes work well...

Some brands of after market disc pads will do that. They don't fit properly in the callipers. Or the inner pad clip has lost its spring tension.

I have had that rattle in the past on a Golf. It was just the spring clip allowing the pad to rattle up and down in the caliper.

Thanks heaps! I will check this with my shop.