Sign in to follow this  
jay^

Heater Core / coolant leak e30

Hi all, just hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

I recently discovered a coolant leek in the passenger footwell of my 89 325i. A quick google tells me it is likely to be the "heater core" and a further google turned up some walk through's on how to remove and replace that item.

However upon further digging in my footwell it appears like my leak is coming from a square white unit sitting above the metal piping leading to the heater core. The arrow indicates exactly where the leak is coming from - in between the black and white halves of what appears to be some sort of sensor.

Can anyone advise what this part is ? and where i might find a replacement (just out of interest BMW NZ want $455 +gst for a new core out of Germany, got quoted $100 from a wreckers for 2nd hand).

Is this item in fact just part of the heater core (or the core itself and im thinking the core is something else?)

post-15464-1312956922.jpg

Edited by Jay^

Further reading suggests i might be referring to the heater core valve ??

That is the heater tap... where is it leaking from ? you can't see it in the picture. If you can pressure test it ... it will show you what you need to replace

Edited by *Glenn*

That is the heater tap... where is it leaking from ? you can't see it in the picture. If you can pressure test it ... it will show you what you need to replace

Its leaking from between the top and bottom halves of that unit. pretty much exactly where the tip of the arrow is in that picture.

Its leaking from between the top and bottom halves of that unit. pretty much exactly where the tip of the arrow is in that picture.

You'll need a new valve then

$60 for good ones @ Hellbm