Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Varnish wood into matt

well i have inherited a wooden steering wheel......

hahaha

anyway i want to get rid of all the varnish, and make it a nice matt finish.....will just sanding work, or do i need a special type of finish to make this happen?

so pimp

if your painting it, use a resene product called "smooth surface sealer"

that will seal the varnish or what ever is on the wood.

Then paint away with your choiceof colour...SPRAY of course.....

The way I read it, Gus wants a wooden wheel, but just not a gloss finish - presumably for better grip on the wheel.

There is such a thing as satin varnish which is the least glossy - I wouldn't leave the wood bare - it would attratc dirt and you would have to sand it everytime you wanted to clean it - satin varnish is you best option, although that will develop a shine as your hands polish it.

proberbly best to sand it off then put like a satin finish on it or a kind of wax so it wont get stained , was in a aston today and it had like a matt wood finish looked very nice

Your correct Gus.. sand paper and lots of time start with an 80 grit paper to get the varnish off.. then higher grades to finish off. You could use a stripper but check it on the steel part to make sure there's no reaction (from my experience Coopers is by far the best)

You can get all sorts of varnish satin or mat finish I'd advise using an exterior or marine varnish as interior stuff tends to yellow and craze in the sun. maybe talk to a car restorer

cheers Matt

edit: DON"T use any sort of power tool it will melt the varnish then it just soaks into the wood making for more sanding.

Edited by MattA

brilliant....sounds like fun

if i ever get a boss kit for it, ill be pimping