Sign in to follow this  
R3CON

E39 - How to disable the front Passenger Airbag

Hi all,

I was wondering how you go about disabling the front passenger airbag? We have a new one on the way and found that when you have a baby seat in the front you need to disable the airbag.

Ta

Eion

you shouldn't be putting the baby up front anyway. should be at the back seats.

Not on a E39 as Glenn said. I'd say you were hoping you can disable it like the newer small cars (1-series, Golf, Polo, A3, etc) by turning a key in the glove box.

Does anybody know what weight has to be the seat for the occupancy sensor to register ?

Would a carseat and baby be light enough that the bag would not go off ?

Still safer to put bubs in the back - plus many E39 have ISOFIX fittings in the rear whihc makes this easier too :)

you may be able to get an auto electrician to do it?? I know on my grandperants boxter they got it done so nanna could take my little brother back to thiers for the weekend. It wasnt a Porsche option either..

just a thought. but regardless, bub shouldnt be in the front. back seat only, or buy a peoplemover if no more room back there

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

you may be able to get an auto electrician to do it?? I know on my grandperants boxter they got it done so nanna could take my little brother back to thiers for the weekend. It wasnt a Porsche option either..

just a thought. but regardless, bub shouldnt be in the front. back seat only, or buy a peoplemover if no more room back there

depending on how old the car is, baby should be in the back middle, not on left or right if airbags are in the doors...its a pain not being able to put them on left and right, also there is a reason cars have a little sticker indicating no baby seats in the front. Havent seen the isofix

in our e39...neither of them had it ...(both late models and nz new + import)

Havent seen the isofix

in our e39...neither of them had it ...(both late models and nz new + import)

My touring has them

Option 470 Child Seat Isofix Attachment

on my e38 ive got those latches at the back on top of the parcel tray 3 of them. is that for baby seats? the bolts are fairly fat and long

Does anybody know what weight has to be the seat for the occupancy sensor to register ?

Would a carseat and baby be light enough that the bag would not go off ?

On my e46, not much. Few kilos would set that off.

Gotta love live data on those OBDII scanner.

Sorry guys, I should have said our THIRD baby. My wife also looks after our friends 2.5 year old so we are trying to figure out a way of getting 4 safely seated in the car. (its just for kindy drop off's and pickups in a 50km zone (we live in Napier, no motorways here lol).

Our other option is our subby wagon, I think I could put the kids on a traler and be safer than that pos. :P