Sign in to follow this  
justin_cosgrove

How to check diff/trans oil E30

As the title suggests, how do I check the diff oil level? and do I have to have the motor at operating temp to check the automatic trans oil? or can it be cold?

Sorry I know it's a noob question but I'm new to BMWs

On the back of the diff there is two 17mm inverse hex bolts, the bottom is drain and top is fill. As rude asit sounds, the correct procedue is to fill till it come backs out the top hole to see if it's full. Same for the transmission if manual and, if your auto doesn't have a dipstick in the engine bay then that too.

On the back of the diff there is two 17mm inverse hex bolts, the bottom is drain and top is fill. As rude asit sounds, the correct procedue is to fill till it come backs out the top hole to see if it's full. Same for the transmission if manual and, if your auto doesn't have a dipstick in the engine bay then that too.

Ahh, that's how I filled the manual trans on my galant when I did the manual conversion, I filled it till it overflowed, is there a way of just checking if the diff oil level is still where it's meant to be? My auto does have a dip stick in the engine bay, does the engine need to be hot to check the auto trans oil? or is cold ok too?

nope the procedure i said is the way. you could put a clean finger in the hole and check for fluid (keep your mind out the gutter :P)

From memory you should do it when its warm, but i change cars so often its been a few years since ive filled an auto so dont quote me, someone else will chime in, or you could run a google search