Sign in to follow this  
e30-redline

E30 Drive Shaft Problem

ok so heres how it goes:

i have a 1990 e30 325i 4 door that i bought prity original and have done some work to it over the time.

it was auto but the auto trans was over so i stuck my 2l m20 gearbox from my old e30 320i(some1 crashed into me and wrote it off), the gearbox was ok at first but didnt last very long so iv now got a m tech 325i gear box and a brand new clutch thanks to euro-italian. so finerly got the new clutch in and gear box bolted on and all the gear linkage back in and then went to stick the driveshaft back in and it just wouldnt fit(too long by 25mm) so took it out and undid the spline and shortend it but it only shortend by about 5 mm so got back under then car put each end of the drive shaft into place to c if the fit and yes no problem but when i went to c if they were guna line up it was still 20mm to long.

so my question is: is there more than 1 sizeing in driveshafts for e30s? perhaps the mtech have a slight shorter drive shaft cos the gear box is slightly bigger?

any advice is much appreciated thanks

manual and auto driveshafts different lengths. I think its the gearbox end thats shorter but i might be wrong.

manual and auto driveshafts different lengths. I think its the gearbox end thats shorter but i might be wrong.

yes but i had previously already changed it to manual but i will check this out go match mine up next to some1s thanks

Check the part number on your driveshaft on realoem.com

the driveshaft from the 320i will be longer than the 325i as the gearboxes that are used are different lengths.

also diffs are different

the driveshaft from the 320i will be longer than the 325i as the gearboxes that are used are different lengths.

also diffs are different

oh really? thanks, and as for the diff what will be different?

You need the driveshaft (or just the front half) from a 325i manual. If you just get a front half it might need balancing with your old back half (although the two times I've done it I haven't needed to - just lined up the white marks).

You need the driveshaft (or just the front half) from a 325i manual. If you just get a front half it might need balancing with your old back half (although the two times I've done it I haven't needed to - just lined up the white marks).

yeah i thought so thanks man