Sign in to follow this  
4Skins

POP Radar

I'm in the market for a radar detector, probably a Valentine One. Looking at the offerings on TradeMe (trying to filter out the stolen ones can be a challenge). All the sellers report the POP version, either 1.8 or 2 but none of them can actually say whether or not it REALLY matters.

Can anybody actually tell me with authority whether POP is used in New Zealand and whether the version actually matters??

:unsure:

Operating frequencies:

10.500 - 10.550 GHz (X band) - Disabled for NZ

24.050 - 24.250 GHz (K band)

33.400 - 36.000 GHz (Ka band)

13.400 - 13.500 GHz (Ku band) - Disabled for NZ

820 - 950 nanometers (Laser)

I'm pretty sure the "POP" refers to the version of software in the Valentine, the higher the number, the later the version. I have one which is I think 2 or even 2.1.

Having just driven Akl-Papamoa-Akl over the weekend using a top of the line Bel something with custom install (something like $2ks worth), the Valentine is far better. The Bel failed to pick up 2 camera vans sitting on the side of the road, not even a peep. The Valentine at least picks up something.

I also have a 20 year old Uniden (LRD9000) which you can pick up off TM for about $25. It has a far longer range than either of the above, it's failings over the Valentine being no rear facing sensors (although it will still pick them up from behind) and no arrows to tell you where they are.

POP refers to the new gen of instant on radar detectors used by the police. They give you very little if any warning as they start within 1/10 of a sec. Google it, quite interesting.

Q: What is POP Radar?

A: POP Radar is the newest radar police are using to detect your speed. POP radar consists of a lightning-quick radar burst that can go from “off” to “on” detect you speed then back “off” again in less than one tenth of a second. Although it is still K band radar, it is so fast it is undetectable by most detectors.

Whoops. Silver Fox is right in that POP is the radar used, the other numbers you refer to (1.8 etc) are software versions of the Valentine.