Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Lower Hutt Police Crackdown

This post isn't just about the police, some chick wrote off her old man's brand new uninsured bmw...

[stuff - abridged]

Lower Hutt residents gave away more than $100,000 last week – but it was not to a good cause and not many were happy about it.

A five-day police campaign caught 542 motorists – almost all of them locals – flouting traffic laws in the city. It was one of the highest numbers from any blitz in the city.

Though more than 80 of those caught were speeding drivers, many were motorists who should not have been on the road, and others were in unwarranted and unregistered cars. Seventy-eight were picked up at intersections.

Mr Isaac said though police had been lenient in enforcing new laws at roundabouts, running a "Stop" sign – no matter how new – was different. Given the numbers of motorists breaking the law, police would continue the blitzes.

Younger drivers did not seem to be learning their lessons either.

"We picked up lots of learner drivers breaching the terms of their licences, and most of them were repeat offenders."

Learner drivers cannot drive solo; those on restricted licences cannot drive between 10pm and 5am.

Some have come up with novel, if illegal, ways to pay their fines.

Detective Sergeant Carolyn Crawford said a youth believed responsible for some radar detector thefts in the city had told police he was stealing them to pay his traffic fines. "He was getting up to $350 for them."

The problem of drivers breaching their licence conditions almost had a tragic ending in Upper Hutt on Friday night.

Police said a 16-year-old girl on a learner licence crashed her father's new uninsured BMW into a power pole at the intersection of McLeod St and Mary Crescent.

Four passengers were in the car. Two were admitted to hospital with moderate injuries. The driver, who was likely to face charges, was unhurt but the car was wrecked.

Speed and alcohol were believed to have been factors in the crash.

[/stuff]

Cracking down on drivers breaching their licenses is a good thing, IMO, and repeat offenders should be stripped of their license altogether.

Hey Mike, didn't you get stung $150 for running a stop sign in Petone recently? I can think of so many places where most joe publics run stop signs...

Edited by ///Carl

Good on the Police, not just a 'boyracer' crack down but an overall crack down on the more simple things. I give my full support on getting the people off the road that shouldn't be there.

The funny thing with the leaner/restricted drivers is that I was with a chick the other week, I have my full, she has her restricted. She was pulled over for speeding and handed over her licence, so I handed over my licence as I was classed as her 'supervisor'. The officer asked why I did that and I had to explain to him the law.

She still got the speeding ticket though :P

The funny thing with the leaner/restricted drivers is that I was with a chick the other week, I have my full, she has her restricted. She was pulled over for speeding and handed over her licence, so I handed over my licence as I was classed as her 'supervisor'. The officer asked why I did that and I had to explain to him the law.

She still got the speeding ticket though :P

I thought the "Supervisor" would have got the ticket because you are "supervising" so the one being supervised would not do illegal stuff (incl speeding). ^_^

Good on the copers~

People who doesn't know how to drive probably should take lessons again~

Seen some SUV drivers (strangely most are female) do some annoying things, blocking 2 lanes try to not let you pass, non-signalling lane change, sudden breaking try to get you crash into her, etc....

Point is, I am sure, if we all obey the law, we would live in a happy place. Less traffic jam, less accident, etc....

bust everyones ass!!!

no sympathy, if you are f**king round or shouldnt be on the road, BURN

Hey Mike, didn't you get stung $150 for running a stop sign in Petone recently? I can think of so many places where most joe publics run stop signs...

Almost a year ago, first and only ticket. :banghead: And it wasn't even my fault...