Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

Resetting the OBC functions

Hi All

Instead of upgrading the Japanese Nav in my 2001 E39 touring, I am considering replacing it with a Dyanavin V5 (yes I know the Android models are just around the corner).

Now I do like the OBC functions for Consumption, Range, Time, Avg Speed etc and I think that they will display on the MID if I have a Dynavin installed. I actually prefer to glance down at the MID rather than across at the video screen and I have the Time displayed on the MID by default.

Now what I want to know is, is there a way to reset these functions and adjust the time if you dont have original the Video display?

I think Navcoder might be able to set the time, but is there a way to reset the others. OR do you lose these functions if you remove the Display, Radio, Nav unit and CD changer?

I thought I read somewhere that the Dynavin (well V5 anyway) supported OBC interface but Paul at Prestige tells me this is not the case.

Cheers Dave

Try holding in the stalk end for a few seconds when fuel consumption is showing on the mid and for time put mid on time and try turning either tip meter reset or the one on the other side.

Edited by Neal

Try holding in the stalk end for a few seconds when fuel consumption is showing on the mid and for time put mid on time and try turning either tip meter reset or the one on the other side.

If you hold the stalk in, it eventually goes to "PROG" mode and you can select on the Video display which items you want selectable on the MID.

I have tried several combinations of the stalk and Trip Meter/Control check buttons, but nothing exciting happened :( :( :(

Of course if the Video unit was not there, then the operation may be different. BMW have been known to employ redundant equipment control.

Instead of upgrading the Japanese Nav in my 2001 E39 touring, I am considering replacing it with a Dyanavin V5 (yes I know the Android models are just around the corner).

Now I do like the OBC functions for Consumption, Range, Time, Avg Speed etc and I think that they will display on the MID if I have a Dynavin installed. I actually prefer to glance down at the MID rather than across at the video screen and I have the Time displayed on the MID by default.

Now what I want to know is, is there a way to reset these functions and adjust the time if you dont have original the Video display?

I think Navcoder might be able to set the time, but is there a way to reset the others. OR do you lose these functions if you remove the Display, Radio, Nav unit and CD changer?

I thought I read somewhere that the Dynavin (well V5 anyway) supported OBC interface but Paul at Prestige tells me this is not the case.

Remember that when you remove the factory nav system or MID, you loose all the ability to control and reset following functions:

Vehicle clock (date and time)

OBC functions (all of them)

Auxiliary heating and ventilation (if fitted)

Immobiliser PIN code function (if you have the E39, E38 or X5)

Phone control (if fitted)

Assist function (if fitted)

All these are controlled by the existing factory nav system or MID.

Replace the nav/MID system with something foreign (non BMW), and you cannot control these functions any more, UNLESS the foreign system can specifically control these functions.

You must decide if you are prepared to live with that....

Remember, the push button on the indicator stalk allows you only to cycle through the various OBC displays. It does not let you reset or program any of the displays.

Thanks Jochen

Not the answer I wanted but at least I know where Im going.

Remember that when you remove the factory nav system or MID, you loose all the ability to control and reset following functions:

Vehicle clock (date and time)

OBC functions (all of them)

Auxiliary heating and ventilation (if fitted)

Immobiliser PIN code function (if you have the E39, E38 or X5)

Phone control (if fitted)

Assist function (if fitted)

All these are controlled by the existing factory nav system or MID.

Replace the nav/MID system with something foreign (non BMW), and you cannot control these functions any more, UNLESS the foreign system can specifically control these functions.

You must decide if you are prepared to live with that....

Remember, the push button on the indicator stalk allows you only to cycle through the various OBC displays. It does not let you reset or program any of the displays.

New e39 Andriod based Dynavin will have OBC Functions, just not the first batch of them.

New e39 Andriod based Dynavin will have OBC Functions, just not the first batch of them.

Yes I had heard that - Sounds great - Just not sure if I want to be first in the queue for one. Wouldn't mind hearing some reports of the first installs. Maybe I should just bite the bullet :-)

I have grown used to and do like the Upper MID Time, Speed Limit, and Range displays. I would be disappointed to lose them.

I also use the Telephone audio input to bring a commercial two way radio output to the front speakers. I thought I read somewhere that the front speakers have dual voice coils so hopefully I wont lose that.

Each to their own but to me it seems a bit silly to bite the bullet on the soon to be superceeded Dynavin when the new model is a matter of months away. They're not cheap so why not hold out for the new model since OBC is important to you.

Be interesting to know whether the frst batch of the new Dynavin will be software upgradable to control OBC once the second batch is released.

One option that people did with the aftermarkets systems was to move the MID into the glove box, but that was with the separate MID systems and don't know if that's at all feasible with the board monitor system.

AFAIK, front speakers are single voice coil. Not sure you'd want to feed different signals into a DVC speaker, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Edited by rogan

Each to their own but to me it seems a bit silly to bite the bullet on the soon to be superceeded Dynavin when the new model is a matter of months away. They're not cheap so why not hold out for the new model since OBC is important to you.

Maybe the way I worded it - I was only thinking of the new Android model and then only the second revision with OBC. But whether to bite the bullet and be first in the queue for one of these or wait for some reports.

Be interesting to know whether the frst batch of the new Dynavin will be software upgradable to control OBC once the second batch is released.

Would be very interesting indeed

AFAIK, front speakers are single voice coil. Not sure you'd want to feed different signals into a DVC speaker, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

At the moment Im just feeding my my second audio source into the Telephone input wire at the Telephone TCU/JBIT connector. It works well with the audio coming out of the front speakers only along with the stereo audio. I just haven't researched how the signal path works and whether I will lose this signal path if I put a Dynavin in.

Edited by Crazy Dave

I also use the Telephone audio input to bring a commercial two way radio output to the front speakers. I thought I read somewhere that the front speakers have dual voice coils so hopefully I wont lose that.

Dual voice coil front speakers was only on the older vehicle fitted with old-generation radios, made prior to September 1998

If your vehicle is newer, the voice is fed via a separate channel into the radio, and the native BMW system switches the audio source to the telephone input when the tel mute line is activated

One option that people did with the aftermarkets systems was to move the MID into the glove box, but that was with the separate MID systems and don't know if that's at all feasible with the board monitor system.

Yes, that can be done, but you need to recode the vehicle for MID instead of nav

AFAIK, front speakers are single voice coil.

Not true - the early systems had a dual voice coil speaker in the woofers in the front doors. The second voice coil was used for the telephone audio.

Simply but extremely flexible in that you could feed any audio to it.

Not hifi, as it is only the woofer, but more than adequate for voice.

Yes, that can be done, but you need to recode the vehicle for MID instead of nav

Not true - the early systems had a dual voice coil speaker in the woofers in the front doors. The second voice coil was used for the telephone audio.

Simply but extremely flexible in that you could feed any audio to it.

Not hifi, as it is only the woofer, but more than adequate for voice.

Thanks Jochen, Your answers are not always the ones I want to hear, :-) but you are a mine of information on these vehicles. I appreciate your help.

God has spoken. I stand corrected. Do I need to self-flagellate for my penance?