Sign in to follow this  
sik bm

e30 320i not selecting gears

hey all have just brought a e30 320i auto. when u put it in any gear it doesnt move even reverse.

thinking its the selector but not sure. any advice appreciated.

cheers

garry

car you push the car forward in park? neutral? is there the same resistance? selector cable may be damaged. If it moves in nuetral when pushed but not park then the cable will be fine.

I would then look at the fluid level

car you push the car forward in park? neutral? is there the same resistance? selector cable may be damaged. If it moves in nuetral when pushed but not park then the cable will be fine.

I would then look at the fluid level

it moves in neautral but not park. and fluid level is fine. i dont know what else it could possibly be except for a wiring problem maybe??

it moves in neautral but not park. and fluid level is fine. i dont know what else it could possibly be except for a wiring problem maybe??

Broken oil pump drive in the front of the box

isnt usually any wiring unless its the sport box with S E and Snow. yep as glenn said, thats about the only realistic thing left

iirc its the input on the gearbox, but if it does out to be that is probably not worth fixing and just getting a new gearbox.

My auto box did the same, but it works fine in Reverse. So I'm buy a Full Manual conversion Kit From Jono51

the main problems with these boxes is lack of service,

in response to original post

the best you can do for yourself is remove the pan, replace the filter and have a fluid flush done, it might only be a blocked filter, any other advice will be to complex

cheers

Jon

My auto box did the same, but it works fine in Reverse. So I'm buy a Full Manual conversion Kit From Jono51

Hi Mike,

yours appears to be a different fault, common of the 4hp22

one thing that can cause this is a good bootful on the accelerator whilst in neutral or park,

repairable, but labour, parts etc and not as satisfying as a manual conversion

hear from you soon

Hi Mike,

yours appears to be a different fault, common of the 4hp22

one thing that can cause this is a good bootful on the accelerator whilst in neutral or park,

repairable, but labour, parts etc and not as satisfying as a manual conversion

hear from you soon

Ah Thanks for that info! Now I know who was at fault lol. My Ex-partner and I were arguing about something, then she put the gear into Park while I was doing about 60km. Not so good.

I just sent you and email Jon.

Ah Thanks for that info! Now I know who was at fault lol. My Ex-partner and I were arguing about something, then she put the gear into Park while I was doing about 60km. Not so good.

I just sent you and email Jon.

OMG!

but the noise

Priceless !!!

will check my emails,