Sign in to follow this  
C.Ross

E36 Motorsport Alarm

Hey people,

Can someone please help me figure this out, I'm looking into which alarm is factory fitted to my car I found one site saying that "3G EWS alarms are fitted to all E36 M series" but that is confusing me as some websites refer M series as M3 only where as other sites mean motorsport series... does anyone know?

Hey people,

Can someone please help me figure this out, I'm looking into which alarm is factory fitted to my car I found one site saying that "3G EWS alarms are fitted to all E36 M series" but that is confusing me as some websites refer M series as M3 only where as other sites mean motorsport series... does anyone know?

BMWs 94 and onwards have EWS, 1995 onwards have EWSII which is just a better version of the previous.

BMWs 94 and onwards have EWS, 1995 onwards have EWSII which is just a better version of the previous.

yes you are correct there, EWS and EWS II are only the immobiliser side of the system though. It's the alarm side of things i am trying to work out there are multiple alarms fitted along with EWS or EWS II, the ones im thinking could be installed in my model are either the 3G mk1 or it's next follow on the 3G Mk2 made by sigma i know all this, but the thing is all the information on the internet is so vague it doesnt spell out which year they stopped putting the 3G mk1 into e36 and started the 3G mk2 and on that note it doesnt really state that it is based on a year, it could be based on an optional add on from factory as which level alarm system you had installed, like i figured out today, this alarm has the feature of rolling up my windows if i leave them open and even close my sunroof. Edited by 3SeriesMotorSport

On an e36 ('97) with an aftermarket alarm, can you easily revert to the EWS? Would/could the EWS have been removed?

On an e36 ('97) with an aftermarket alarm, can you easily revert to the EWS? Would/could the EWS have been removed?

Are you sure the EWS has been disabled? If you are still using the original key it could be possible that it is still active. The EWS works by the key sending out a RF signal to the EWS reciever when it is plugged into ignition. That way if the reciever doesnt recieve a signal when the ignition is turned, 4 system components of the engine do not recieve power. I have read in some cases when fitting aftermarket alarms, they have wired in a Second ignition somewhere under the dash which has a Second key fitted in it at all times. it is only "active" and sending a go signal to the EWS reciever for a few moments after the aftermarket alarm is turned off though, in order for the alarm system to keylessly start the vehicle (for cars with turbos to warm up in mornings etc) If the EWS is still fitted it is possibly in one of four places, Behind the Glove box (when removed glove box) in the boot in back left corner i think it is, or the passengers foot well area, i think? dont quote me on any of this.... most of the information i was reading up on was UK models as they are the only ones who seem to post anything about it on the net...?