Sign in to follow this  
SRBMW

E30 325 with ZF Gearbox

We have a couple of the series cars using them Darren.

how much work is required to install a ZF transmission?

Same amount to install a getrag 260.

So are they considered a e30 325i "sport box" I hear they have a bigger output flange and different ratios to teh getrag-similar box to a 3.0 M3 in the 36?

Very close to the getrag in ratios, no difference really, supposed to be slightly stronger. Quite different to the M3 box.

Very close to the getrag in ratios, no difference really, supposed to be slightly stronger. Quite different to the M3 box.

So Dave work this one out, I've got one of these e30 325 sport boxes here and it's virtually identical to a e36 m3 3.0 gearox the only difference is two tabs for another mount on the bottom of the gearbox same part number aswell, Now I'm really confused!

Hi Darren,

does your ZF carry the number S5-19 THMH on it? My info is that the ZF came on some 320's only, not 325's.

The sport option in the 325 was Getrag. You may have a car that's had the box changed at some stage. Is 5th overdrive or 1 to 1, and is it dogleg by any chance? Some 323's came with doglegs.

Yep it's definetly not a dogleg aren't they Getrag 245 or 265's? I've got two here that are from 325 sport's haven't gone though the ratios as yet but thought you would find this weird as the info I saw suggested they never came out with them, they are a much larger box !! apparently there is also a 525 e34 sport that has them aswell

Edited by SRBMW

323 dogleg is a getrag 245, M3 is 265. If 1 to 1, then definately a replacement box, actually with those numbers I'd be surprised if it isn't. I've broken a manual E28 520i with a ZF box, but it was the S5-19.

323 dogleg is a getrag 245, M3 is 265. If 1 to 1, then definately a replacement box, actually with those numbers I'd be surprised if it isn't. I've broken a manual E28 520i with a ZF box, but it was the S5-19.

What did you break on the S5-19 in the E28?

A friend has one behind a modified M52B28 and it also suffered some damage, but it may have been due to old age as KM's were unknown when the box went in.