Sign in to follow this  
bellicose

iphone help for a tech' idiot.

Hey all, need a little help / info'.

My other son came back from OZ on Sat', he's got an iphone 4. It was with Telstra over there and now it's saying it's on Vodafone NZ.

My questions are,

Can i go to Vodaphone and get another SIM for it,

Will it work ok in NZ if i do?

More importantly, do we HAVE to have it on Vodafone here or is there someway we can get it onto the Telecom network?

Would appreciate any help as i'm completely tech' illiterate, i'm flat out turning on the 'puter haha.

The iPhone4 is quad band so you can have it on either XT or Voda. You dont have to be on either.

You do need a micro sim (dont go buy a standard sim cause it wont fit).

Just go into the store (Voda or T/com) and say you want a iphone plan (You need the data).

I would suggest XT as my experience on my iPhone 4 is that its alot faster.

*Disclaimer: only my personal experience*

Easy peezy.

Edited by $toffz

Isn't there a chance the phone is locked onto the Telstra network?

It depends whether he bought it on a plan through Telstra, or direct from the Apple store in Aussie.

If it's locked, it will need unlocking before any NZ sim will work.

Isn't there a chance the phone is locked onto the Telstra network?

It depends whether he bought it on a plan through Telstra, or direct from the Apple store in Aussie.

If it's locked, it will need unlocking before any NZ sim will work.

Yeah he just informed me he got it through Telstra and it has a Telstra SIM in it at the mo'.

So i'm guessing it'll be locked.................soooooooo how do we unlock it?

The iPhone4 is quad band so you can have it on either XT or Voda. You dont have to be on either.

You do need a micro sim (dont go buy a standard sim cause it wont fit).

Just go into the store (Voda or T/com) and say you want a iphone plan (You need the data).

I would suggest XT as my experience on my iPhone 4 is that its alot faster.

*Disclaimer: only my personal experience*

Easy peezy.

Yep, second that. Run from Vodafone as fast as possible. Their network is probably going to drop your calls and just be generally slow. And they don't even care. iPhone4+XT is a wicked combo.

Go Telecom XT!!! (I'm a ex (very) long term Bellsouth/Vodafone customer. They are crap.)

Have done a bit of net searching and i think it's going to end up just being a bloody expensive ipod / music player.

Some things i've read say with the firmware this ph has you can't jailbreak then carrier unlock it and some say you can.

Also, it needs a wi-fi connection but our setup at home won't let it connect.

Firmware is 4.10.1

I hate technology haha.

It might not even be locked. Throw a XT sim in it if you have a spare one and see if it goes. (You'll have to cut it down to micro sim size)

Edited by polley

first of all try another network sim before trying dangerous stuff with it.

Fairly sure anything Apple from Australia is locked to their network unless you pay them a fee to unlock it.

Trademe also has a thing called Genvie sim or similar that apparently unlocks it??

Fairly sure anything Apple from Australia is locked to their network unless you pay them a fee to unlock it.

This is correct. Edited by DrphTa

I think that unless it was bought outright in Australia and not on a plan it will be probably locked to the network. my brother bought a 3GS off ebay and sent it too me, Vodafone told me that Australia like NZ lock the systems to their own network to try and stop people getting free iphones on a plan, then skipping the country like (apparantly) many NZers have done in the past.

I sent the 3GS to a guy on Trademe who jailbroke it for about $50, pain in the backside is updating then having to re-jailbreak it though.

Hey all, need a little help / info'.

My other son came back from OZ on Sat', he's got an iphone 4. It was with Telstra over there and now it's saying it's on Vodafone NZ.

My questions are,

More importantly, do we HAVE to have it on Vodafone here or is there someway we can get it onto the Telecom network?

Would appreciate any help as i'm completely tech' illiterate, i'm flat out turning on the 'puter haha.

The problem is Your phone shows Vodafone roaming signal.You need to unlock your IPhone4 with telstra network so that you can use your mobile with Vodafone network.To unlock Iphone there are several methods out there among them i found Remote unlocking method is the safe and secure way to unlock IPhone.If you are intersted in this method of unlocking means visit this site Classicunlocking.com.After unlocking you can use it with any gsm networks.

My questions are,

your using his telstra card in its overseas roaming mode so its picking up vodafone,wont work once the credit runs out,they will work on any nz carrier with the right sim card

You won't know if its locked until you try another NZ sim card,it will either work or not,anyway its not a problem if it is,they can be permanantly officially unlocked now and it varys in price online,mine was $17 to be unlocked from AT&T USA

some can be unlocked for free with a simple hack but newer ones require the official factory unlock which is more permanent.either way I can help,

send me a pm