Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

daily is dead

So the fuel pump has been playing up since 50kms of driving after i brought it, thats fine. came right, and thought maybe its just coz the car didnt get used much by the previous owner. then a few days ago it went nuts and finally died, and does not start again.

What happened was i took it for a drive to whitby and back, and i havent been on a drive that long since i brought the car back from auckland. it started juddering on the motorway on the way home, but then was fine. then i went to the river turned the car off and went for a walk. i went through one puddle on the way. then i got back into the car, started up fine and drove home. then i used the car again about 2 hours later to go round to the shops and it started fine both times. Then i go to get tea, and it doesnt want to start, it would catch every now and then and then die again. monday morning, dead as anything.

here is what i have done

i have replaced the fuel pump with another one from a sponser and that sounds like it goes fine. The pump wurrs fine so not an electrical issue. I am going to replace the filter as well, but it hasnt arrived from auckland yet. Am getting fuel from the pump, the filter and at the input to the rail.

so i move on to spark, which im also getting. i checked one of the coils, not all of them as it started to rain at this point.

compression i havent tested, but should be fine, can hasnt been over heated and iv done about 3000kms in it since i brought it

its getting plenty of air, i can see the flap etc.

So thats me and my skills out.. anyone know what could have happened? oh and no EWS on this bad boy either lol

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

have had a look and it looks to be okay. havent had time yet to have a look at the resistances etc yet

(as its at the pointy end of the semester i need to get some assignments done. might have to sit for a few weeks untill the holidays ergh)

will swap AFM and crank angle sensors next. i just had a quick read, and AFM seems to be quite common

hmm still its not getting fuel into the cylinders for some reason, and can figure out why!

have replaced fuel pump, relay, Crank position sensor, intake boot and the MAF (incase it was an air issue). fuses look fine

definately getting spark, and compression is fine

anyone have any other things to look at? i realy need the car back asap! thanks in advance

Fuel pressure regulator?

seems to be okay, but i dont really know how to test that. would that go all of a sudden though?

well i was sitting in the car just about to take out my headunit and swap that over when the wind blows through the back door and it smells like gas. thats strange. so i open up the spare wheel well and seems to be gas smell in there. crank the car and yep gas. must not have done the feed line up or at all. reconnected that up and hey presto. so must have either been the crank angle sensor or the maf, and the fuel line was loose because i swapped the fuel pump.

so now it runs, but not drivable. i HATE those stupid little BMW hose clamps you can only use once. off to Mega in the morning to pick up some new clamps and im sorted!