Sign in to follow this  
Garryg

DVD Car navigation system....Why?

Just trying to find an answer?? I have a basic head unit in my E39 (Radio & Cassette). It has a 6 disc changer in the boot.

Over and above this it has a Panasonic DVD Car Navigation System ( model No.CN-DV5500) wired in the boot, yet there is no screen evident for this to work?? WOuld these have been fitted as standard, or do you think it may have had a screen fitted as an accessory that may have been removed?

If the latter is the case, do you think I would be able to install a monitor and utilise this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Looks like the screen that goes with this is missing. It would not have been fitted as standard and would have run in addition to your BMW audio system. If anything the audio from it mave have plugged trough a cassette adaptor into the BMW system.

Intergrating this into a BMW system might not be that cost effective compared to buying the all in one systems that are on here. (swauto).

I suspect that getting NZ maps for the panasonic unit could be problematic as well,but it does sound like it could play DVD's in which case you could probably add a screen.

The Panasonic DVD system is not original BMW.

It has been fitted by a previous owner

If your car is ex-Japan, the system will be for Japanese maps only. Google the model number

If Japanese only, throw it away. It cannot be used in NZ