Sign in to follow this  
Stephen001

Engine rattle

Hi,

I have tried to research this one without much luck. 2002 318i - has developed an engine rattle that seems to come from the front end of the engine. This begins when engaging first or reverse from cold start up (Auto trans). It doesn't do it when in Park. It only seems to be a problem when the engine is cold, its very obvious when leaving the garage in the morning but has dissappeared when arriving home from a trip. Its not loud enough to hear from the cabin when driving so I'm not sure how long it lasts.

Anyone struck this before?

Thanks for your help. :D

are you refering to the air pump ??

they sound like a noisy air compressor

Possibilities:

Alternator idler bearing

Alternator belt tensioner

AC tensioner

Disa Valve (M43)

Engine mounts (N42 & N46)

Loose plastic engine covers (N42 & N46)

Cat convertor

As Brent suggested the air pumps can be noisey as well, they would also be noisy in park & not be effected by putting into gear. If the EGR diaphram fails they fill the pump with water which eventually destroys the pump.

It would help to know what engine is in your car. What is your location ? Maybe someone can have a look / listen for you

Possibilities:

Alternator idler bearing

Alternator belt tensioner

AC tensioner

Disa Valve (M43)

Engine mounts (N42 & N46)

Loose plastic engine covers (N42 & N46)

Cat convertor

As Brent suggested the air pumps can be noisey as well, they would also be noisy in park & not be effected by putting into gear. If the EGR diaphram fails they fill the pump with water which eventually destroys the pump.

It would help to know what engine is in your car. What is your location ? Maybe someone can have a look / listen for you

Thanks Glenn,

I am in CHCH, this is our first BMW and we haven't had it long so I am not sure who folks down here would recommend as a knowledgable and reasonably priced placed to get it serviced?

As for the engine I believe it is an E46 N42B20.

Cheers

Stephen

are you refering to the air pump ??

they sound like a noisy air compressor

Hi Brent,

Thanks, it's a bit more metallic than those noises I think, although difficult to tell on a video I guess. As an aside, when that guy takes his oil filler cap off, shouldn't the engine stall or at least run really rough (rougher) if his PCV valve is working OK?