Sign in to follow this  
330iMSport

E46 Options

Hi All

I've had a good search around but looking for some input into the best way forward.

Currently I have in my E46:

1 - Jap spec BMW Business cassette head unit (that can't be changed to NZ frequencies)

2 - BMW 6 stacker in the boot which is largely stuffed it seems

Ideally, I'd like to have something that looks reasonably stock, will play the stereo, the odd CD and will connect to ipod via a charging cable

From what I can gather, my options seem to be:

1 - Replace the unit (and probably ditch the stacker) with a newer and working BMW CD and get a DICE unit

2 - Go with an aftermarket headunit with an orange display and run an ipod cable/charger

Option 2 is looking cheaper and easier at this stage but wondering if I'm missing anything as everyone seems to rave about the DICE setup. The only other thing is bluetooth, but if I'm running of an ipod charger/cable it doesn't seem to be a major?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All

I've had a good search around but looking for some input into the best way forward.

Currently I have in my E46:

1 - Jap spec BMW Business cassette head unit (that can't be changed to NZ frequencies)

2 - BMW 6 stacker in the boot which is largely stuffed it seems

Ideally, I'd like to have something that looks reasonably stock, will play the stereo, the odd CD and will connect to ipod via a charging cable

From what I can gather, my options seem to be:

1 - Replace the unit (and probably ditch the stacker) with a newer and working BMW CD and get a DICE unit

2 - Go with an aftermarket headunit with an orange display and run an ipod cable/charger

Option 2 is looking cheaper and easier at this stage but wondering if I'm missing anything as everyone seems to rave about the DICE setup. The only other thing is bluetooth, but if I'm running of an ipod charger/cable it doesn't seem to be a major?

Thanks in advance!

Try looking at a Dynavin, does all these functions including bluetooth and Nav!

Yes a DICE unit & a STD BMW world mode tuner - does all you need and looks factory std. You can get these off ebay for around $150 USD - just make sure it is the world mode tuner. You could also try HellBM as Ray may have one in stock

^^^^ Yep but technically the later "world tuner" along with aerial adapter, requires replacement aerial antenna too as they differ from the early ones in market specific units.

Many thanks for the responses. Gives me a bit to ponder

Daniel -Did you get my PM?

Yes thanks hotwire.

At this point I'm leaning towards one of these http://www.hyper.co.nz/drive/audio/head-un...d/13967/product

Looks to be the most cost effective option as it would otherwise add up by the time I got a replacement BMW CD business unit and a DICE unit.

Obviously I'll need a DIN fitting kit but it would hopefully tie in fairly well with the orange lights.

Any ideas as to what else would be needed such as wiring loom adapters? Any other feedback appreciated.

Many thanks!

Good option but not sure it looks the go with rest of the car as opposed to OEM - from a purists point of view.

Not sure if you can get a JVC to BMW harness adapter but if not - wiring can be cut/shut anyway.

You will comprimise radio reception though - the JVC unit is not set up for diversity aerial connections as the OEM unit is

Yes thanks hotwire.

At this point I'm leaning towards one of these http://www.hyper.co.nz/drive/audio/head-un...d/13967/product

Looks to be the most cost effective option as it would otherwise add up by the time I got a replacement BMW CD business unit and a DICE unit.

Obviously I'll need a DIN fitting kit but it would hopefully tie in fairly well with the orange lights.

Any ideas as to what else would be needed such as wiring loom adapters? Any other feedback appreciated.

Many thanks!

Should be able to get the loom adaptors and aerial adaptor off ebay (Or maybe super cheap)

One thing to note is that the e46 mid basses are 2ohm which may not suit the headunit if you are pushing the volume . If you do push the volume and the circuit design is good then it will either take the load or shutdown rather than taking out the output stage IC's.

Yes thanks hotwire.

Many thanks!

Remember that with any non-OEM radio, you'll loose the diversity antenna function and your FM reception performance will be reduced. This is because the antenna system switches to the default antenna, as the new non-BMW radio cannot tell it what antenna to use.

Original BMW uses 2 or 3 FM antennas, constantly switching between them to get the best signal.

If you drive mainly in Auckland, you won't notice the lack of antenna diversity.

If you drive around the Waikato, you'll really really notice the lack in FM performance.

Forewarned is forarmed.

The more I learn about the electronics around the e46 NAV/ICE systems the more I marvel about how much thought has gone into it.

In contrast the speaker system using rare metric speaker sizes and narrow depth front door enclosuers and balanaced audio outputs on the BM53/4 which have variable loudness built in is a right pain in the backside for upgrades.

Thanks for the responses team. More to think about!

In terms of the diversity aerial issue I've had a sniff around and these guys have a theory http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119187 Most of it relates to systems with the factory amp but the guy in the last post sounds like he bypassed it. Anyone tried it or got any views?

Yes thanks hotwire.

Many thanks!

I have one of these or similar in an e36, good functionality etc, my biggest gripe is the display is very faint when looking at it under sunny conditions.

Something to be aware of.

I have tinted windows so this doesn't happen that often for me.

In terms of the diversity aerial issue I've had a sniff around and these guys have a theory http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119187 Most of it relates to systems with the factory amp but the guy in the last post sounds like he bypassed it. Anyone tried it or got any views?

That forum entry only deals with supplying power to the antenna amplifier.

They never dealt with the diversity switching issue

If the diversity control signal is not present, the antenna amplifier will default to antenna 1.

It will never be able to switch to antenna 2 or antenna 3

Having multiple FM antennas makes a big FM performance increase when driving in weak signal areas, or in strong signal areas with lots of reflections (city centers)

The diversity signal is supplied by the tuner section of the radio back to the antenna amplifier.

The antenna amplifier can switch multiple times a second to get the best signal, based on what the radio is telling it

This control signal is only present in the original BMW OEM radios

I have one of these or similar in an e36, good functionality etc, my biggest gripe is the display is very faint when looking at it under sunny conditions.

Something to be aware of.

I have tinted windows so this doesn't happen that often for me.

Yes but the E36 does not have a diversity aerial system which is the main problem with aftermarket radio's in E46 etc cars having reception issues.