Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

e28 gearbox

Hey guys, a mate of mine has an e28 525e that has blown the auto box.

now, will any old 4hp22 fit or is there another consideration I need to know?

Or, if someone has a manual conversion for one she might be keen on that.

Thanks,

Bradd

yes most 4hp22 from m20 engines will fit e30 320i 325i 323i e28 520i e34 520i 525i .

just check output flange type is the same , also check the electrical plug size and number of pins etc etc

some e28's came with the electronic switchable type box which has the sports,ecno and manual switch in the console if it has this type you will need to replace it with that type again , ormuck around fitting the mechcanical kick down cable etc.

the 525e also had a sleightly different torque convertor set up sop it locks up much earlier than the other m20 type.

i have a manual pedal box , driveshaft , flywheel and clutch for one of these if you can find a suitable getrag 260 box from a preface lift 325i or 525e etc has to have place for the crank sensors to mount in the bellhousing for the flywheel trigger pick up point

Hey, thanks for that info you gave, took another look at the old auto off my old e30, 3bolt flange, mechanical kickdown, no electronics to speak of, so sounds like it should be the go using the old torque converter?

( I tried to convince her to manual it but she wouldn't go for it )