Sign in to follow this  
sam726

E34 M30 Advice

Hi there,

My 535is E34 has dropped a valve it seems and could possibly have incurred more damage as a result and im wanting to know peoples opinions on what would be my best option to fix and stop more problems occuring as its getting into high kms now.

Im wondering whether anyone knows what options i would be able to pursue in rebuilding it with getting it all rebored and machined aswell as changing all the gaskets etc... or if anybody can point me towards a reputable person/business to get a quote for this.

Otherwise whether anyone knows of a good low kms condition engine i could swap in without many issues.

Not sure if Hartge Brent may know of anyone to go to.

Thanks,

Sam

if its dropped a valve there will most likly be holes in teh pistons and massive damage to the cylinder head.

i would say time for a engine swap.

the reason they normally drop a valve is due to wear in the camshaft lobes which causes the valve to shut very quickly then eventually breaking the head off the valve steem.

cam wear is normally caused by lack of oiling to the camshaft due the banjo(hollow bolts) coming undone.

you engine might look like this inside

post-279-1321394880.jpg

post-279-1321394907.jpg

post-279-1321394979.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

So here's the diagnosis,

"I got your BMW apart yesterday. The engine had broken 2 rockers & worn the cam shaft badly. However, the good news is the basic lower engine assembly is OK. So below is the parts I need to fix the head & a couple of options.

Parts:

1/ 12x rockers $330

2/ Head Gasket Set (complete) $470

3/ 1x injector ??

4/ Distributor Rotor ??

Machining:

1/ Cut valves & seats $110

2/ surface head $100

3/ repair cam shaft $300"

Whats everyones opinions in terms of whether its worth getting it repaired this way or whether i should look at a 2nd hand engine etc...?

Thanks

So here's the diagnosis,

"I got your BMW apart yesterday. The engine had broken 2 rockers & worn the cam shaft badly. However, the good news is the basic lower engine assembly is OK. So below is the parts I need to fix the head & a couple of options.

Parts:

1/ 12x rockers $330

2/ Head Gasket Set (complete) $470

3/ 1x injector ??

4/ Distributor Rotor ??

Machining:

1/ Cut valves & seats $110

2/ surface head $100

3/ repair cam shaft $300"

Whats everyones opinions in terms of whether its worth getting it repaired this way or whether i should look at a 2nd hand engine etc...?

Thanks

i have a 180k e34 engine in the shed.

its a bare engine,but youve got all the bits anyway.

$600

cheers marty

Edited by BM Weapon

here is how i look at it...if you fix yours you know exactly what you have got....any second hand engine is partly unknown.Any M30 engine will eventually blow the head gasket becuase of diff movement between the iron block and alloy head.Even the most religiously maintained cars will blow the head gasket.If you do yours now with gaskets and new bolts it will be done and known.Even the newest M30 does have a dizzy and rotor.