Sign in to follow this  
robnob78

M40 Ticking noisely

Hey guys,

Bit of a long story.... car was mint (E36 M40B18) didnt tick much at all. then driving to auckland. Half way timing belt stripped all the teeth, So got it home. Found another head which was a bit gunky, Cleaned it up. Threw it on. Ran sweet but had a Horrific Tick. So took the cam and liters out (As Cam was quite worn) and swapped lifters with my old ones.

Put it together. Def, Quieter but still loud. too loud for my liking haha. What more can be done?

Here is a video so show you the noise.

http://youtu.be/QRALQ_FJQfU

Cheers for any help and tips guys

are you sure the camshaft in there is not worn down,

or could be worn rockers , sticky lifters etc

I changed the cam, This one isnt worn, unless its worn where the cam mounts to the head.

Rocker arms are slightly worn. like half a mm maybe and lifters have been cleaned in kero for a couple days before being soaked in oil for another day then installed

How long did you have it running ?? They need a little time to bleed. If thats not the case it will be wear in the valve gear or oil supply. The sump gaskets are renowned for cracking around the oil pick up port, which then supplies airated oil. Airated oil will not pump up a hydralic lifter.

This time around have had it running about half an hour so far? and no easing up on the tick. Last time did a couple hundred km and nothing.

How could I check the gasket?

Should have left the old lifters bled haha instead I left them in kero to clean out

There any way to manually bleed these lifters?

You can't manualy bleed the lifters. I would check oil pressure first. You should have at least 20lbs @ idle and 80lbs @ 3,000rpm. The problem is that airated oil will still give you a pressure reading, but airated oil will not pump up the hydraulic lifters. It's the same as having air in the brake hydraulics. The only way to check the sump gasket is to remove the sump. If we did a cam kit or valve grind on a M40 we would remove the sump and do the gasket as well to gurantee our work and the parts used. It might also pay to remove the rocker cover after running it and crank it over without starting it and check that you are getting a good oil supply to the valve gear. You might even detect the airated oil while doing this. If the valve gear does have wear, you could be wasting your time as the lifters only have a small operating height. That is why the valve stem heights are critical when doing a valve grind and the cam lobes and rocker arms should not have wear in them. The oiler tube must also be thoroughly clean and squirting oil on all 8 cam lobes.

Ah awesome man. thanks for that. Just what I wanted to know.

Got the old lifters here,

you shouldnt be able to pull them apart or push them in easily?

if I get some big vice grips i can just squeeze the solid ones with some force. and a couple will come apart and can squeeze them with your hands.

Also, while your here replying. How much are lifters? and are they freely available in NZ? also might as well price cam and rocker arms

Edited by robnob78

Try Gavin @ Euro Italian our sponsor on the forum Ph. (09) 4449817... or

BM Workshop in Grey Lynn should have the cam kits & the lifters ask for Nick (09) 3761250