Sign in to follow this  
cadmium

Looking at BMWs for the first time

Hi All,

I'm an IT contractor in Auckland - mostly doing business analysis and consulting. I've decided my life will be meaningless until I get a convertible of some kind. Of all the options, a E46 330ci might just do the trick!

I've driven a 4L '98 Fairmont Ghia for the last 10 years - nothing like a BMW, but its served me well. My kids are late-teens/early 20's so there is no need for big sedan right now. I'm over the hassel of parking in tight spaces with a larger car anyway.

I have joined up to ask a few noob questions (hopefully not too stupid) while I learn more about these cars and enjoy your enthusiasm for BMWs!

- Stuart

Welcome.

A decent 330i would be an ideal choice.

Depends what your budget is really and if you want to go for an old or newer car.

Welcome.

A decent 330i would be an ideal choice.

Depends what your budget is really and if you want to go for an old or newer car.

Thanks for the welcome! That's the fun part - working out the target budget and age.

Looks like I could get an private sale 330ci from around the year 2000, with over 100,000kms for under $20k. One advertised for $19,000 just got re-listed on TradeMe today with 1 dollar reserve. I will watch that one with interest.

On the other hand, there are some nice Motorsport models, newer, with lower kms, up around the $25k mark or more. I am enjoying trying to workout the market for these by watching which ones get sold or relisted. I might post some links in the TradeMe discussion section sometime to discuss individual cars with anyone who is interested in them.

Welcome to the forums and what a great choice of car :)

here is a couple for you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-409816204.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-424963690.htm

Matt is a great guy to deal with and has good cars. A few members on here have previously bought from him.

Welcome to the forums and what a great choice of car :)

here is a couple for you

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-409816204.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-424963690.htm

Matt is a great guy to deal with and has good cars. A few members on here have previously bought from him.

Thanks for the welcome and the info zenetti. That's one of the great things about this forum - finding out who is good to deal with. Yes both nice looking cars, and not far from me so I might drop by and take a look.

There are almost 30 on Trademe at the moment - They are often also listed as 330i or 330<space>ci and other combinations. A handy hint for those searching for variations on model names at once - I have found I can view them all if I search for convertible, BMW and enter "330 OR 330i OR 330ci' into the "Model or Keywords" field. Lower case "or" does not work.

Regards

Stuart

Thanks for the welcome and the info zenetti. That's one of the great things about this forum - finding out who is good to deal with. Yes both nice looking cars, and not far from me so I might drop by and take a look.

There are almost 30 on Trademe at the moment - They are often also listed as 330i or 330<space>ci and other combinations. A handy hint for those searching for variations on model names at once - I have found I can view them all if I search for convertible, BMW and enter "330 OR 330i OR 330ci' into the "Model or Keywords" field. Lower case "or" does not work.

Regards

Stuart

the first thing you must do is drive a couple,but be hard hearted about it,do not buy yet.Once you have driven a couple at least you have a baseline from which to work and will begin to see what the differences in the options are and what optios you desire.This is where a BMW is different to most other makes,there can be a BIG difference between two identical looking cars