Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

e39 car phone attempting to get it to work with UTMS - TCNZ XT

Hi All,

I have a nz new 99' 540i that came with the in-car phone, the manual says it's compatible with the old GSM 900mhz standard, I'm wondering if there is a way to make it compatable with the TCNZ XT network (UTMS 850,2100mhz) ?

The reason being is that work pays for my phone calls, they have given me a second sim card to put in my car, so when someone calls my mobile while im driving, the call diverts to the sim card for my car phone. I think at this stage I will just need to purchase a VFNZ pre pay and chuck it in to the car phone, and setup call divert on my mobile to divert to the VFNZ mobile.

Any one tried converting their in car phone to become UTMS capable?

nien

most people have changed to bluetooth and nav.

I still have my cordless 'car phone' just for boss value in the 5er

Hi All,

I have a nz new 99' 540i that came with the in-car phone, the manual says it's compatible with the old GSM 900mhz standard, I'm wondering if there is a way to make it compatable with the TCNZ XT network (UTMS 850,2100mhz) ?

The reason being is that work pays for my phone calls, they have given me a second sim card to put in my car, so when someone calls my mobile while im driving, the call diverts to the sim card for my car phone. I think at this stage I will just need to purchase a VFNZ pre pay and chuck it in to the car phone, and setup call divert on my mobile to divert to the VFNZ mobile.

Any one tried converting their in car phone to become UTMS capable?

You would need to change the telephone control unit (TCU), however you are immediately stuck, as BMW never made a UMTS version

So the only option is to swap the TCU for the Bluetooh ULF, which allos a BT connection to the phone in your pocket. That works beautifully. It also has voice dial, and voice control of the nav system (if fitted.)