Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Car wont turn off!

HI guys, sorry to post this in a new topic, ive tried a few searches but not found what I'm after. My mates ignition barrel in his 318ti has broken, with the car still running, and I'm unsure how to safely turn it off, could someone please advise away to turn the car off without damaging anything?

Cheers

You can pull the fuel pump or DME relay. Take your pick.

http://imageshack.us/f/156/7comp1ft1.jpg/

(image shows location of relays)

THANKYOU!!! Cars off :D your a legend. Will just keep the battery disconnected until can get a new barrel. Any idea how much a new barrel and keyset is?

Just did one at work last week. Have you got the key out?

Needs to be able to turn to acc position in order to line the release tab up with with the access hole beside the barrel. I couldn't this time (& also have had before) so had to drill out the barrell to remove - a #@%$#@ of a job

You don't need a key (if it is ok) but do a new barrell. They come from Germany already coded for the car - quote the 7 digit # code to the dealer - early $200's from memory

If the barrel can be removed, I can get it repaired... will need barrel & key. You will also need to check that the shaft in the lock housing is not broken. Most times the fault is only the spinning barrel, but sometimes it's a broken shaft that locks the steering and connects with the electical switch on the L/H side of the column. Also make sure this switch is secure and has not come out in the running position.