Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Engine Hoisting Nfo

just thought id spread some love

hirepool hoist

i will be using something like this, twice, once in, once out

cheap, and should be easy!

Guest Andrew

mint we can use glenns ropes that he used to put his 323 motor on for me to hoist the motor off that

mint we can use glenns ropes that he used to put his 323 motor on for me to hoist the motor off that

speaking of which... <_<

Engine hoist's are great, Sam & I have one.

Engine stands are also great, esp. if you have a spare engine to have on one!!

i will be using something like this, twice, once in, once out

cheap, and should be easy!

I have taken out plenty E30 motors and have found it much easier to undo the crossmember from the suspension/steering rod and body and lower the complete engine/gearbox/crossmember out under the car onto a low wheeled trolley (broken many mechanics crawlers doing this!!! :P ), then jack the body up and drag the whole lot from under the car.

But you will need to be on a decent concrete surface......

When I used to take it out of the top, had to remove things like the fan and power steering pump which seemed to just get hooked up on everything on the way out... out the bottom all you need to undo is the hoses from the radiator, you don't even have to remove the bonnet :ph34r:

Guest Andrew

f**k that!!!!

fan off = easy... cross member would be a prick, and idealy you've gotta rock a wheel alignment after that if you'r doing everything "properly"

its going to need a wheel alignment anyway -

it was quite cool when graeme did this to get out abbys gearbox for her manual swap. I don't think where Gus' car is we'd have a large enough area to do it though.

I bow to your obvious? superior knowledge... :puke:

superior knowledge my arse. public forums gauge public opinions shitpirate, who's to say your "knowledge" is utter gospel and can discount that of others?? merely sharing an opinion, problem with that?

In general, yes it would be alot harder....dropping the whole front cross member out for the sake of an engine swap does seem excessive work when you can have the radiator fan and power steer pump off in what I would have thought less time than f**king round with all the associated sh*t involved in dropping it our the bottom..

bow to me morons, for I am godlike in every way <_<

Guest Andrew

superior knowledge my arse. public forums gauge public opinions shitpirate, who's to say your "knowledge" is utter gospel and can discount that of others?? merely sharing an opinion, problem with that?

In general, yes it would be alot harder....dropping the whole front cross member out for the sake of an engine swap does seem excessive work when you can have the radiator fan and power steer pump off in what I would have thought less time than f**king round with all the associated sh*t involved in dropping it our the bottom..

bow to me morons, for I am godlike in every way <_<

how many M20s have you taken out Cam?

Banned

pwned.

so f**ken pwned.

(now give me the stick, i want to goderate a few of them too)

Ha Ha.. having taken engine and box out the top on mine and witnessed the out the bottom method I'd deffinitly drop the cross member and take it out from underneth, way faster.. If you've got 2m in front of the car you should have enough space.

This is just my opinion... good luck either way Gus

cheers Matt

bugger...sounds a lot easier doing it that way.....but are really not gonna have enough space plus no concrete floor! wooden floor boards....however may be able to do it for the putting back in....fun times ahead i can tell...

We lifted out the m20b20 engine out through the top, car didn't come with a bonnet so saved me taking that off!

The next engine is going to be lifted up into the engine bay due to all the lower suspension and steering needs to come off anyway, nice and easy - grandma's house has a pit, really handy. BMW put the engine in through the underside, so should you. (if you have the available means!) Either way isn't too hard.

Guest Andrew

coming to think about it gus - we need to remove steering rack + all suspension - so should drop it out the bottom.

can make space.

wooden floor would be ok maybe get a sheet of packing ply and lay it on the floor before you put the car in.. make for nice even surface.

cheers Matt