Sign in to follow this  
GerryAttrick

ADJUSTING RIDE HEIGHT WITH SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION ON E39 TOURING

I recently had some trouble with one rear tyre catching on the lip of the arch on my E39 Touring with SLS. I think I have sorted that with the use of a rubber mallet.

Reading the Bentley manual it seems to indicate that you can adjust the ride height on SLS according to the size of rim - mine is running 18" with 245 x 45 tyres. I know these are higher than optimum but I want the extra sidewall height for comfort and to protect the wheels against ptoholes on our crappy roads.

is it possible to reset the ride height and is it a major job? Can you also stiffen it a tad by pumping more air in to it?

If it's air operated it needs to be reset with GT1 Scanner. Hydraulic type height can be done manually

If it's air operated it needs to be reset with GT1 Scanner. Hydraulic type height can be done manually

So thats a yes and it sounds like a job for next service.

Thanks Glenn

I have a touring aswell with air self leveling rear, is it possible to lower it?

Put a nail in the bag. Puts it nice and low, chassis rails on the ground low.

Self leveling is for comfort not playing around with.

Put a nail in the bag. Puts it nice and low, chassis rails on the ground low.

Self leveling is for comfort not playing around with.

Sorry, my flat-peak must be on too backwards.

I was just hoping to improve the stance of the car if possible when I get new wheels for it in case it looks too high. If it is too much hassle I can live with it.

Cheers for your help.

It can be, you need to purchace shorter ride height rods for the rear, usually come with lowering spring kits for vehicles with spring front and bag rear.