Sign in to follow this  
max

e30 Front foglights issue

My front foglights don't work at all, and never have while I've owned the car but the ominous wof date is fast approaching and if lights are on the car they have to work right?

I can turn the rear ones on with a button next to the light stalk. I've read it can be swapped out for a dual button to control front/back independently?

Aside from replacing the bulbs, I've checked the fuses etc but noticed I'm missing the K8 relay. Does the K8 provide the link to the lights?

Guess I'm trying to find a fault other than broken bulbs before I go and get some more only to install them and find they don't work either.. they are pretty wack looking, very expensive?

Photo of single button:

Posted Image

are there wires going to the back of your foglights? i would put money on your car not being wired for them and someone just putting the fog lenses in there for looks. ALL e30s with front foglights have the two button switch, and there shoul dbe a relay in the fusebox. Noone would remove the relay and pull and replace the switch.

Just went and had a look, both are wired in. Guess I'm off to the wreckers for a dual switch and a relay! Unless anyone's got a spare kicking around?

Cheers for the help guys.

check the fusebox has the metal pins where the relay is supposed to go. it may be that someone has wired them up aftermarket and not used the OEM way. where do the wires at the back of the fogs go to?

I've swapped the switches out for a dual switch a few times now, got the relays and fuses sorted etc, and tried 3 at a wreckers and got one off a member on here (cheers man!) but still no action from the fronts. The rears work fine.

While I was at the wreckers a while ago we took the switch out and ran a wire from one connection to another where the switch plugs into and the front fogs lit up! What gives?

Surely all 4 switches I have tried are not all bung? I don't really want to fork out $90 for a brand new switch to plug it in and find the same problem.

Any ideas?

Yeah that's what I'm going to do but kinda want them to work!

Yeah that's what I'm going to do but kinda want them to work!

Well... instead of chasing your tail & guessing with switches (unlikely to be at fault) - get it checked by an auto sparky. Prolly a 10 min job to diagnose