Sign in to follow this  
Tbirdsteve

E36 no drive after engine swap

Hi all,

I recently changed the engine on our 94 single VANOS 325i with the Jatco 5 spd auto after the old engine cracked it's head.

The replacement engine starts and runs fine but has no drive.

I pulled it out again to make sure the torque converter was properly fitted etc and then reassembled but still no drive.

For good measure I also then drained and replaced the trans fluid but still no joy.

When changing the engine I left the trans in and just pulled the engine out through the top in the way you'd do most other cars, rather than pulling the front off the car and removing engine and trans together. Very fiddly but after doing it twice I'm comfortable with this method and it doesn't take too long.

Any ideas or help much appreciated thanks.

Steve

Did you make sure the torque converter was properly engaged with the oil pump drive before bolting the engine to the gearbox?

You may have smashed the oil pump drive.

Hi all,

I recently changed the engine on our 94 single VANOS 325i with the Jatco 5 spd auto after the old engine cracked it's head.

The replacement engine starts and runs fine but has no drive.

I pulled it out again to make sure the torque converter was properly fitted etc and then reassembled but still no drive.

For good measure I also then drained and replaced the trans fluid but still no joy.

When changing the engine I left the trans in and just pulled the engine out through the top in the way you'd do most other cars, rather than pulling the front off the car and removing engine and trans together. Very fiddly but after doing it twice I'm comfortable with this method and it doesn't take too long.

Any ideas or help much appreciated thanks.

Steve

Before bolting torque convertor to flexplate it should spin freely,as before dmaged pump,time for another box or oil pump,have both options

Before bolting torque convertor to flexplate it should spin freely,as before dmaged pump,time for another box or oil pump,have both options

Hi and thanks for the responses.

I was suspecting the trans pump but know very little about auto's, let alone BMW ones. Is there any easy way to check the condition of the pump?

I wasn't very fussy on the original install and stupidly brought the engine and trans together using bolts instead of lining it up properly. The second time I installed it went together very easily with no "forcing". After checking the Internet I discovered that the trans can be damaged if the engine is repalced in a hurry which is what I was doing.

Also how hard is it to swap the trans oil pump in a Jatco? Are there idiot-proof instructions anywhere?

Many thanks,

Steve

I smashed my oil pump on the ZF in the E30, basically you have to have to remove it and check... it has two square teeth to spin the pump from the crank. they're probably snapped.

it wasn't hard to replace, right at the front of the trans... I just replaced the cog wheel thing that I broke.

Edited by antil33t

Was the jatco you fitted going before you fitted it?

The Jatco in the car was going fine before I swapped the engine - the car has 302000 k's on it and the Jatco had never given any problems. I used the car to tow a 6000 pound Thunderbird on a car trailer for about 20 miles (they don't steer or stop too well in that configuration). The trans survived fine but the engine developed a cracked head a few weeks later (might have been a coincidence).

Does anyone know if I yank the engine again can I get at the oil pump from the engine bay to replace or repair the oil pump, or could I do it from underneath without removing the trans or engine?

Many thanks,

Steve

The Jatco in the car was going fine before I swapped the engine - the car has 302000 k's on it and the Jatco had never given any problems. I used the car to tow a 6000 pound Thunderbird on a car trailer for about 20 miles (they don't steer or stop too well in that configuration). The trans survived fine but the engine developed a cracked head a few weeks later (might have been a coincidence).

Does anyone know if I yank the engine again can I get at the oil pump from the engine bay to replace or repair the oil pump, or could I do it from underneath without removing the trans or engine?

Many thanks,

Steve

Gearbox needs to come out