Sign in to follow this  
Sick Puppy

Friend is looking for a 2003-ish 5 series - advice please

Hi everyone, a friend of mine is looking to buy a 5 series, and I thought I'd ask here for recommendations as to who to buy from. Yes, she can look on Trademe (who doesn't nowadays), but we're here about Beemers, so I figured, heck, why not ask?

She is looking at either a late model E39 or early E60. Sedan or Touring is fine, manual or slushbox, and while she'd be happy with a 520, I'm thinking that that size engine would be a tad underpowered? I dunno, I know nothing about them.

Only thing she is fixed on really (apart from a 5 series) is that she wants it to have a proper rear middle seatbelt and the fitting for a child seat.

Any advice, pointers or contacts would be much appreciated - ta!

edit: Why a 5 series? No idea - she has had an E36 for years, so is a Beemer fan, I think she wants to get a bigger car, but if you guys reckon the later model E46 etc are a go, let me know. B)

Edited by Sick Puppy

5 series is a much much "nicer" car than a 3 seriesa maual e 39 is very very rare a manual e 60 would be even more...she must have a price range e 60 start at about 20 e 39 for half that Alan on here may wish to sell his e39 530

Edited by kiwi535

5 series is a much much "nicer" car than a 3 seriesa maual e 39 is very very rare a manual e 60 would be even more...she must have a price range e 60 start at about 20 e 39 for half that Alan on here may wish to sell his e39 530

Cheers for that, friend isn't fussed, though TBH she'll probably prefer an auto, I'm figuring they will be cheaper, can't think why :D

Spoke to her yesterday, looks like a five series is where it's at!

Get an E60, this is one of the reason, this is why.

They are really cheap nowadays, $25k-$35k will get her a very nice ones (525 - 545). Some dreamers in TM for sure, but try to get a 530d.

Get an E60, this is one of the reason, this is why.

They are really cheap nowadays, $25k-$35k will get her a very nice ones (525 - 545). Some dreamers in TM for sure, but try to get a 530d.

If it's outright power then the 545i is the one to get but the 530d can still hold their own.

Driven several 530d and they are brilliant. Remap them and they are even better!

I would go for a E60 too.

If she can get her hands on a diesel she'll be sorted especially with the fuel prices, as well as benefitting from all the new tec in the later model.

Just my 2c.

E60 for sure.. I think I will have my eye on them next year as their prices continue to tumble.

Dont get an early E60, i had nothing but problems with ours (2003 530i M Sport Auto)....all electrical.... and the stealership was less than helpful (Like reading/scanning the codes, not attempting to fix anything..verbally tell me what it was and not print out the log.... and bill me for the pleasure) LOL

Get a late model diesel as the others said and should be good, me if idid it again i would be an E39 and spend the money on good upgrades and mods...but thats just me!

Dont get an early E60, i had nothing but problems with ours (2003 530i M Sport Auto)....all electrical.... and the stealership was less than helpful (Like reading/scanning the codes, not attempting to fix anything..verbally tell me what it was and not print out the log.... and bill me for the pleasure) LOL

Get a late model diesel as the others said and should be good, me if idid it again i would be an E39 and spend the money on good upgrades and mods...but thats just me!

My old 03 E60 only had about 20kms on it yet I still managed to fork out over 2k in repairs in only a few months of ownership on electrical failures. IMO if you get a good 2nd hand NZ new one and in diesel you are less likely to go wrong.

Mine was a nz new one with only 65k on it....... From CHCH BMW Just the 03-04 ones seems to have the issues

IMO - late model E39 would be better than early model E60:

Potentially less issues

Cheaper Insurance - out of interest what are your insurance options in Christchurch? Have these been affected in the same way other new policies have?

Easier to maintain at an independent mechanic - as opposed to the E60

Cheaper overall purchase price - it's only going to depreciate anyway

Finally if she would be happy in a 520i but you think she needs more then get the 525i - better round town mileage and make sure you get the 16 inch wheels for all the ruined roads down there.

IMO - late model E39 would be better than early model E60:

Potentially less issues

Cheaper Insurance - out of interest what are your insurance options in Christchurch? Have these been affected in the same way other new policies have?

Easier to maintain at an independent mechanic - as opposed to the E60

Cheaper overall purchase price - it's only going to depreciate anyway

Finally if she would be happy in a 520i but you think she needs more then get the 525i - better round town mileage and make sure you get the 16 inch wheels for all the ruined roads down there.

What he said.....

or this one ,looks like a keen vendor

That car has been on there for more than a year. They wanted 50-60k plus then. At 25 it's an absolute bargain but I'd be getting it checked out prior to handing over any beer vouchers!