Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Looking for tyres for 2001 530i 235/45/17

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on some tyres, I've currently got some 235/45/17 Michelin (Think they're Pilots).

I don't really have a budget as such, generally I would spend about $200 or so per tyre on 16 inch car tyres on my old Mercedes S320, I'd like to spend about the same on these say about $250 per tyre. However I'd be willing to spend more per tyre if for example they would last longer I would be keen to at least look into Michelin or Continentals as the ones I've got on the car seem to be a good tyre, but I understand I'd be looking at around $500 per tyre or there abouts.

I've got 4mm of tread all round at the moment so I don't need to buy anything right this minute but they will need replacing.

I tend to lean towards mid range Goodyears or Dunlops but have never tried Bridgestone or Hankook so I'd be keen to hear what people are running at similar sizes and how they're handling and lasting. Noise is also an issue for me I really HATE excessively loud tyres.

Thanks,

Edited by NZ BMW

There is an 050A ( 235/45/17) designed for the Volkswagen Passat in a 97W rating - these would be a good choice .

Most other options appear to be 94 load rated which I found too soft in the case for an E39.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll see if I can get some prices for these as I can't seem to find any online. I'm surprised that you rate Hankook so badly. A lot of the guys on the US based BMW forums seem to rate them very highly.

they had signs of structural stress and early signs of structural failure.

How do I tell if my tyres are stressed or failing?

Hi Nathan,

My wheels were staggered like what Ron said (235/45/17 and 255/40/17 front and rear respectively). I had the unfortunate situation a month ago where a nail went in the sidewall of one of my rear tyres so had to quickly get it sorted. Long story short I couldn't find any 255/40/17 in stock at the time so had to replace both my rear wheels with 235/45/17's (designed to fit 7.5" - 9.0" rims) Bridgestone RE002 at Tony Tyre Service in Papatoetoe for $235 each ($10 price beat guarantee as Hyper was selling for $245 each)

My impressions so far is that they definitely give plenty of grip and are pretty quiet for a performance tyre so couldn't be happier with them! At that price for such a good tyre I couldn't say no... Now there might be better deals out there (not sure) but I was in a hurry so was the best I could do at the time.

Cheers,

Derek

i used bridgestones on my e34(cant remember the last ones ) but more recently Falkens (452 i think) and they were around 250ea

Our 528 came fitted with 235's on 9 inch rims I would strongly recommend that anyone considering this does not fit 235's all round on staggered rims, the handling is awful

Just out of interest:

• How would you describe the handling?
  • What tyres were they?
  • What state were they in?
Edited by Derek007

Discount Tyres have a deal on 235 45 17 97W Pirellis of some description - I expect they are the P Neros or whatever they call them. I understand it's pretty much a cheaper P Zero, they should be fine for my needs as I'm not so much of a race-car driver.

http://www.discounttyres.co.nz/

I wonder how long this deal is going for - as I don't need the tyres yet but have virtually no space to store them in my apartment :(

The Discount tyres ad clearly shows its a P7 not a Zero Nero and the picture is NOT of a current NZ Pirelli P7 tyre looks more like a Goodyear assymetric?

P7 is a mid range tyre like the Turanza worth about $200 as it is a very common size for Volkswagens

Also does Not come in 255/40 /17 for a staggered option

Your quite right - I didn't notice that.

I don't require the wider rear tyre as I don't have staggered wheels. So it's a decent enough commuter tyre but you're telling me that this is not actually a "special" price for a P7?

The car tended to oversteer and let go rather early at the rear plus it tended to wheel spin easily.

Turn in was inconsistent, and often required correction mid corner to counter the oversteer generated by the rear end walking. Front was okay.

I suspect this was due to the stretch of the tyre -- Fine if you want to go drifting or dribbling in traffic but crap if you want to drive quickly and safely.

I suspect you could have got the correct size tyre with a bit more effort?

Interesting things brought up. Would completely agree that the wider track would give better traction. In terms of stretch; only way to find out would be to test with 235's fitted to 8" and 9". With that said it would still be subjective...

At that time I oly had a couple of hours before I needed to head up north so wasn't able to source 255's! Just a string of unfortunate events... Good trip though!

Interesting things brought up. Would completely agree that the wider track would give better traction. In terms of stretch; only way to find out would be to test with 235's fitted to 8" and 9". With that said it would still be subjective...

At that time I oly had a couple of hours before I needed to head up north so wasn't able to source 255's! Just a string of unfortunate events... Good trip though!

235 are fine on 8" rims

235 are fine on 8" rims

Absolutely, I believe from factory it came with the option of staggered fitment or 8" all round. My car came with the 8" fronts and 9" rears. Not optimum to have 235's but still within the limits on the 9".

The next time I need tyres I'll put the 235's I have on the rear on the front and get 255's for the rear.

I have to admit that I don't push the car to its limits (or the tyres) so the less grip the 235's provide won't be noticeable for me.

I remembered when I had my e36, I downsized the tired from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 (both are approved factory size on factory rims, btw) but buy higher grade tyres. I found the car handles transformed into more agile and responsive with just as much grip. Even gained a bit of fuel economy too.

Wider tyre is not always better.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on some tyres, I've currently got some 235/45/17 Michelin (Think they're Pilots).

I don't really have a budget as such, generally I would spend about $200 or so per tyre on 16 inch car tyres on my old Mercedes S320, I'd like to spend about the same on these say about $250 per tyre. However I'd be willing to spend more per tyre if for example they would last longer I would be keen to at least look into Michelin or Continentals as the ones I've got on the car seem to be a good tyre, but I understand I'd be looking at around $500 per tyre or there abouts.

I've got 4mm of tread all round at the moment so I don't need to buy anything right this minute but they will need replacing.

I tend to lean towards mid range Goodyears or Dunlops but have never tried Bridgestone or Hankook so I'd be keen to hear what people are running at similar sizes and how they're handling and lasting. Noise is also an issue for me I really HATE excessively loud tyres.

Thanks,

Hi Nathan

Welcome to the forums, there is a wealth of infornmation on here.

I would also suggest you take a look at the Toyo range, in particular the Teo +, the C1S and the T1 Sport. All of these have the higher 97 load rating as Ron suggests.

Not a lot of people know this but Toyo and Bridgestone own shares in each other and do quite a lot of technology sharing. Bridgestone recently released their "ecopia" range which is Toyo's technology, it has been on the Teo + for the last few years.

The Teo + is probably the quietest tyre I have driven on, it is not an out and out performance tyre but I have just been away for the week and driven over 1200km on them on our family vehicle and they performed really well, even with the horrendous weather we have recently had.

The C1S is more of a performance tyre and has been designed specifically for European vehicles, it would be my choice of tyre, as again it grips well, is nice and quiet and offers pretty good mileage

cheers

Johno

Just want to revive this thread again.

Anyone have advice on Toyo Proxes 4 tyres? They appear to have the 97 load rating which I need and are well regarded online for grip. Noise seems to be iffy...

dont know much details about tyres but had the proxes 4 on my e36 before and they were great, lasted ages and overall a really good set of tyres IMO

I guess just to provide resolution on this thread I should share which tyres I purchased.

I ended up with some Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response tyres in 235/45/17 all around. They are only 94 rated for wear but interestingly that's what the manual with the car suggests.

First impressions over about 500km's including a trip "up north" in the weekend is that they are very good I find them nice and grippy and they are very quiet. :-)