Sign in to follow this  
Allanw

CDV Delete - Recommended

I just removed the Clutch Delay Valve from my E39.

I can't believe the difference it makes! I thought it probably wouldn't be worth the effort, but felt enthused this morning. I have 2 neighbours with hoists at home, but did it in the garage with the factory jack and one axle stand anyway!

The car used to to be difficult to reverse out of the garage because when trying to slip the clutch, it would engage more than you wanted, so you'd have to modulate it to keep the engine from stalling, or rev the engine higher like a Nana. The EFI would keep giving the engine a kick to stop it stalling. It sounded stupid! Also, the change from 1st to 2nd was always a bit lurchy and hard to keep smooth.

Now, the clutch is perfectly smooth and predictable, it feels better and performs like you'd expect it should have always done. manouvering in tight spots is easy and smooth now, and it doesn't sound like you are continuously almost stalling.

It took longer to get the car up and down than it did to remove the valve. There are write ups all over the interweb, but it basically involves (on E39's):

Undo clutch hose backet

clamp soft hose

remove 9mm hard hose nut

remove 14mm CDV from slave

fit 9mm hard line nut into slave

bend hard line slightly to fit bracket back onto stud, tighten.

unclamp soft hose

open bleeder on slave to let any bubbles out (I got the mrs to pump the pedal twice, to be sure, but NO bubbles anyway)

(some models are done differently)

If your car has one, I'd HIGHLY recommend removing it! Putting it back in only takes the same effort, but I'd be surprised if anyone ever put one back in!

Cheers,

Edited by Allanw

I miss this car...

It is a very nice car ;-) Awesome to drive.

I've fixed the Dash and MID pixels, just filled it with Castrol edge, done the diff, and have royal purple synchromax coming for the gearbox. Changed the steering whel trim to the satin silver too fitted genuine mudflaps so the road crud doesn't get flicked all over it (we're about 8kms along a country road).

III have to keep it nice. We had kid2 on the way, and 3 will just baring fit - it will probably be Odyssey time then :-(