Sign in to follow this  
Charles200

Extra bass options?

Hi there,

the stereo that is in the e39 wagon is lacking in bass. mids and highs are amazing because there are 8 speakers in the thing, but I still cant help feeling that im listening to grandpa's handheld battery-powered radio at times. has anyone installed a subwoofer in one?

at the moment the only way i see possible is to parallel off the speakers and run to the speaker level inputs of an amplifier for the sub. is this the only way to do so?

the headunit is obviously not upgradable, unless there is some sort of adaption plate that I can buy so one could fit a standard DIN mount head unit? It would be a bonus to have ipod control as well, all I have at the moment is the ipod running by tape-adapter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by mainframe

Heaps of info about this in the audio section.

Any stereo playing through the tape deck adapter will sound average.

Yes there are adapter plates but will look naff.

Look into the dynavin system for a flush upgrade.

Have done alot of reading.

have decided on a DICE silverline duo or whatever. great that someone has made proper ipod integration.

and and now on the hunt for a line output converter to get RCA's from output on car amp to the new amp and subwoofer.

its late am I doing this right...

have googled and cannot find a supplier of these, does anyone know where I could get a line output converter? Jaycar?

^ yup, they do them down the road from me in Mt Wellington they have some in stock

^ yup, they do them down the road from me in Mt Wellington they have some in stock

Cheers thanks is that jaycar in mt wellington?

I have established I have a non DSP unit so I have ordered a DICE unit for Ipod connection. Cant wait.

Now it turns out I cant find/dont have a factory amplifier in the car, so im stuck for ideas on how to get an input for a new amplifier! frustrating! Is the amplifier in a different place to the sedans or do I not have one. Would have thought I did, having ten speakers...

Edited by mainframe

Cheers thanks is that jaycar in mt wellington?

I have established I have a non DSP unit so I have ordered a DICE unit for Ipod connection. Cant wait.

Now it turns out I cant find/dont have a factory amplifier in the car, so im stuck for ideas on how to get an input for a new amplifier! frustrating! Is the amplifier in a different place to the sedans or do I not have one. Would have thought I did, having ten speakers...

It will have one - L/H rear corner from memory.

Some Tourings came with a factory sub in the R/H rear corner. A fairly mediocre unit though

It will have one - L/H rear corner from memory.

Some Tourings came with a factory sub in the R/H rear corner. A fairly mediocre unit though

No factory sub (probably would've been happy if it did), and definitely no factory amp in the L/H side of trunk. Have seen many with factory amp in boot and mine does not have one.

Seems I have some sort of poverty spec optioned radio. From what I have read some people speculate there was a headunit installed in E39s with an integrated amp. I will pull out my headunit tommorow and verify.

Owning this E39 has become an adventure...

Ha! Amen brother!

Ive wanted an E39 for as long as I can remember and since owning mine, im with you 100% on saying that owning one has been an adventure.

Jeeezus H

No factory sub (probably would've been happy if it did), and definitely no factory amp in the L/H side of trunk. Have seen many with factory amp in boot and mine does not have one.

Seems I have some sort of poverty spec optioned radio. From what I have read some people speculate there was a headunit installed in E39s with an integrated amp. I will pull out my headunit tommorow and verify.

Owning this E39 has become an adventure...

My E39 Touring has the side Nokia Sub and the Jap owner had installed an extra Amp to run the rear roof speakers - I run a DICE unit and are more than happy with the sound.

Perhaps Brent could help you out with some salvage E39 gear, Amp and Sub etc ?

That would be easier than a customer setup and you would retain the boot space.

Best of luck.

Just for anyone who might want the info,

Got the subwoofer in the car today. Sounding pretty good now. Had to remove the headunit, this involved removing the volume knob and then using a flat blade screwdriver (yes a flatblade, not a torx) to turn the latch holding screw 45 degrees (unlike 90 others suggest) and while doing that had to get another flat blade down the sides of the unit and slowly work it forward and out.

I discovered that the factory HU does indeed have a built in amplifier. Purchased a speaker level converter from Jaycar and tapped into the rear speaker outputs then ran RCAs all the way from the front to the amp in the rear, along with a switched 12v wire.

Basic head unit

Posted Image

No factory amplifier

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im very much into my sounds and have a decent setup in my E46 wagon, but removing the standard head unit in that was so much harder to remove than putting a couple screwdrivers in the sides lol, took over an hour to remove, but glad i did it as now the panasonic head deck sounds/looks so much cooler!

Thats good to hear, are the units in E46's standard DIN size or do they have a crazy facia that needs adapting plates or some such?

I definitely would have put a new headunit in if it was a standard DIN cut out, but I prefer the factory look of the dash.

Next step will be to amplify the factory speakers as the headunit amplifying them is pretty weak.

Im very much into my sounds and have a decent setup in my E46 wagon, but removing the standard head unit in that was so much harder to remove than putting a couple screwdrivers in the sides lol, took over an hour to remove, but glad i did it as now the panasonic head deck sounds/looks so much cooler!

That's strange, takes about 5 mins max to remove the OEM radio in an E46 - ease off the two dash mouldings & the radio is secured with two screws. Each to their own on the style, I prefer the more subtle OEM look, besides running aftermarket radios hinders the radio reception due to aerial system incompatibilities where reception becomes a comprimise. Obviously this doesn't concern those who don't use the radio to a great extent.

Thats good to hear, are the units in E46's standard DIN size or do they have a crazy facia that needs adapting plates or some such?

I definitely would have put a new headunit in if it was a standard DIN cut out, but I prefer the factory look of the dash.

Next step will be to amplify the factory speakers as the headunit amplifying them is pretty weak.

The radio housings are DIN but the front facia panel is specific size/shape - as is the E39.

I stand corrected, I thought they all had a separate amp. Be aware of running too much bigger amp - the speakers are a fairly nominal rating.

What model head unit is it ? You maybe able to retrofit RCA outputs at the op amp stage before the final amp stage. Plenty of examples on the internet for CD/BM53 / 54's .

Wouldn't put to much power through the factory speakers. If they are nokia's then you looking at 20 rms watts max.

besides running aftermarket radios hinders the radio reception due to aerial system incompatibilities where reception becomes a comprimise. Obviously this doesn't concern those who don't use the radio to a great extent.

I'm not so sure that is true. I was speaking to the guy who installed my Sony unit in my E46 and he used to be an expert in European car stereo upgrades. He said that the worse reception with aftermarket units thing is a myth and that the reason a lot of people lose reception in their BMW is because they don't 'power' it.

Since he did the install, the reception in mine has been fantastic and I can't fault it. So yeah I don't know what to believe because I wouldn't have thought BMW experts on a BMW forum would be wrong either! :blink:

EDIT: I should add that the aftermarket Pioneer unit that was in my car when I bought it had terrible reception because it was not powered. It couldn't even pick up stations properly.

Edited by OneSeventy

The reason it took so long to remove as it was not put in properly, or the guy before me tried to tamper with it and was in at an angle, so was difficult to remove.

I'm not so sure that is true. I was speaking to the guy who installed my Sony unit in my E46 and he used to be an expert in European car stereo upgrades. He said that the worse reception with aftermarket units thing is a myth and that the reason a lot of people lose reception in their BMW is because they don't 'power' it.

Since he did the install, the reception in mine has been fantastic and I can't fault it. So yeah I don't know what to believe because I wouldn't have thought BMW experts on a BMW forum would be wrong either! :blink:

EDIT: I should add that the aftermarket Pioneer unit that was in my car when I bought it had terrible reception because it was not powered. It couldn't even pick up stations properly.

This is the same experiance I've had when installing after market stereos in a few BMW's aswell. They have a antenna amplifier that is powered by the stereo, reception is crap / non existent if you do not wire it properly.

I must confess I managed to "snap" the removal screw when taking out my headunit, however when I pryed it out with the flat blade I had seen that no damage had been done, the screw had just fallen out and I was able to repair it, and now it all works as it should, can remove and reinstall the unit in a matter of seconds.

Way easier to remove the head units compared to some jappas, where half the dash/centre console has to be dismantled.

And with regards to the factory speakers I did figure they would be rather weak (~20w rms), so if I do amplify them it wont be with alot of weetbix.

Don't power what - the aerial amplifier? This is not the reason I am referring to. The OEM radio runs a diversity aerial system, of which the aftermarket radio's don't. This can lead to weak reception in weak areas. Doubt it would be noticed in city areas.

If you don't believe me - PM Jochen & ask him, or search this forum. There will be NO ONE around that is more knowledgable than him on the subject. Period!

If you are referring to, as I assume, not powering the aerial amplifier, then yes I agree with that. Reception would be absolute crap.

This is the same experiance I've had when installing after market stereos in a few BMW's aswell. They have a antenna amplifier that is powered by the stereo, reception is crap / non existent if you do not wire it properly.

What model vehicles are you referring to? I assume E36. They have a much more simplistic system to E39,46 etc

Don't power what - the aerial amplifier? This is not the reason I am referring to. The OEM radio runs a diversity aerial system, of which the aftermarket radio's don't. This can lead to weak reception in weak areas. Doubt it would be noticed in city areas.

If you don't believe me - PM Jochen & ask him, or search this forum. There will be NO ONE around that is more knowledgable than him on the subject. Period!

If you are referring to, as I assume, not powering the aerial amplifier, then yes I agree with that. Reception would be absolute crap.

Presumably that's what the installer meant, yeah. :)

Even with the diversity aerial use still comes down to the tuner used. The wifes Sony head unit in a e36 works better than the bm53 in the m3 for FM reception. I live in a finge area.

Best FM receiption I've had in a BMW was the factory 1994 BMW OEM Sony U550 Tape player via e36 rear window. The tuner was designed in the early 1990's and runs rings around the 2000's stuff.

I suspect a decent aftermarket tuner running one half of the rear window will out perform the factory unit switching between the two halves.

Gah, the DICE unit I bought is causing a horrible popping noise in the tweeters, regardless of volume, I suspect the level input to the head unit may be too high. This is because it doesnt happen when I use a tape or the radio

Is there a way to adjust it on the unit or even on the Ipod? If not I may send the unit back and try another

EDIT: there was a gain setting on the unit. fixed.

Edited by mainframe