Sign in to follow this  
rusdvl

Air filter for E39 540i

Hi guys,

Wanting to replace the air filter on my E39 540i... any suggestions of good filters? Or will just any aftermarket filter will do?

Thanks

The genuine factory filter is fine in the long run, most of those 'performance' filters are just a rip off and all they do is allow more dirt to pass through and dirty your oil.

+1 for genuine BMW filter.

or K&N panel replacement only if you will wash and re-oil them carefully as needed.

+1 for genuine BMW filter.

or K&N panel replacement only if you will wash and re-oil them carefully as needed.

How often are you supposed to wash/oil them?

+1 for genuine.

If you do go aftermarket, go panel filter only. The 540 already has a very good cold air setup, and moving to a pod style only hurts economy and power. Though the v8 induction sound is great with a pod.

Wash/oil K&N when its visibly dirty? Not sure. Oil based filters can coat your MAF/Airflow meter with oil which can cause issues that CRC MAF cleaner may, or may not be able to solve.

Edited by -Alias-

+1 for genuine.

If you do go aftermarket, go panel filter only. The 540 already has a very good cold air setup, and moving to a pod style only hurts economy and power. Though the v8 induction sound is great with a pod.

Wash/oil K&N when its visibly dirty? Not sure. Oil based filters can coat your MAF/Airflow meter with oil which can cause issues that CRC MAF cleaner may, or may not be able to solve.

Ok... I guess I'll just stick with the original one...

Thanks guys.

This is a good saying: "If you love sand - K&N is your brand" :lol:

Properly oiled and cleaned I don't think they're that bad for your car but you won't get any performance gains to write home about. Just make sure your car is serviced properly and you replace filters and ignition items when they need it rather than "performance" air filters.