Sign in to follow this  
Haz77

Amp power connections E34

Looking to fit a fusion base tube in my 525 E34 and can run the RCA's & remote through the cabin but how the hell can I get a power cable from the battery in the front to the boot!

Found a large cable / terminal under the back seat on the drivers side, could I hook into this or might this cause things to go bang!!

yes just use the big red cable , most e34 models have the battery under the rear seat on the right side.

always use a volt meter when hooking up car stereo gear , dont work blind

Some E34's had batteries in the front, some had them under the rear seat - drivers side.

If you have a battery in the front and found a large cable + terminal under the rear seat, It may be possible the car was wired for the rear mounted battery. Use a multimeter and check for continuity from the positive on the battery to this terminal, and also check the terminal has 12v to the chassis ground (or 13 - 14 with engine on). If this is the case;

I would use that terminal ONLY if the cable running to it was LARGER than the cable powering your amplifier (and then put your inline amplifier fuse on your amp power cable). The fuse current rating (and amp current rating) must be smaller than the current rating of the existing terminal cable. EDIT: even if this is the case make sure the cable is fused as close to the battery as possible.

IF the cable is the same size as your amplifier cable, the cable would need to be traced back and inline fused closer to the battery, which could be a pain in the ass but still easier than running a whole new power cable.

and if the cable was smaller than the cable required to power your amplifier DO NOT USE IT AT ALL. This is unlikely however as battery jump point connections are often large in cable diameter to handle the currents (300-700A) required to jump start cars.

if you had no idea what I was just talking about, I would HIGHLY recommend you get someone who knows what they are doing or there is a fire risk.

Edited by mainframe

IF the cable is the same size as your amplifier cable, the cable would need to be traced back and inline fused closer to the battery, which could be a pain in the ass but still easier than running a whole new power cable.

I know why you say this and in most cases I would agree, but i disagree this time. if it is the cable im thinking about which is the main feed to the fuse box, id rather not have the car completely die from a blown fuse while im going 100km/h after a particularly nasty bassdrop thanks.

I know why you say this and in most cases I would agree, but i disagree this time. if it is the cable im thinking about which is the main feed to the fuse box, id rather not have the car completely die from a blown fuse while im going 100km/h after a particularly nasty bassdrop thanks.

Haha your damn right, If this cable is the fuse box feed I wouldn't bother using it at all. OP make sure the cable is not powering the fuse box. Or really anything for that matter. Can you get a photo of the said 'terminal' you found?

Thanks all,

12v+ to ground from the terminals,

Much bigger than my amp cable & will fuse the amp cable 2/3" from connection.

Would be very supprised if such a large cable was just there for fun and "not feeding really anything" :blink:

Only other question is, Why does this terminal assembly appear to have a red cable bolted to a connection plate which has a black cable on the other side, I always assumed black was negative or ground on most systems?

Edited by Haz77