Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E39 Audio ideas/woes/options

So recently I purchased an E39, which had no band expander or CD Stacker.

Have since purchased a CD Stacker from a 2005 E46 BMW that supports MP3, this is working fine, seems ok with 99 mp3's in the main folder on a CD. (Any more then this and it goes back to 0 when you get to track 100 which makes finding tracks tricky).

Then I purchased a Euro Band expander, which seems to work well and has no reception issues, as its designed to be used with active antennas.

Last week I wired in a 2 Channel Amp using speaker level inputs, bridged to run my Image Dynamics 10inch Sub.

The Sub sounds fine when your at the back of the car with the boot open, however the sound is barely noticeable in the cabin, I punched out the wee 4inch holes on the rear tray inside the boot, but didn't didn't do much.

Perhaps if I completely remove the speakers on the back shelf it will help let some bass in the cabin? I only care about having a front sound stage anyway.

Another thing is, the sound quality of the front speakers is annoying me, in a word , they are sh*t.

I have some DLS MS5A 5.25inch Components Spare, they require 58mm Mounting Depth, does anyone know if these will fit in the front doors? also the tweeter needs to fit in the stock location ideally. but not essential.

Is it a waste of time using these with the factory amp?

Cheers

Rear speakers are in sealed pods and do not create an airway if you pull them out - ie you will gain absolutely nothing by pulling them out. Ski pass is your only real hope

Rear speakers are in sealed pods and do not create an airway if you pull them out - ie you will gain absolutely nothing by pulling them out. Ski pass is your only real hope

Yeah, wondering if I cut that out whether or not I can get away with no cert, (if I buy the factory plastic surround) the car has a factory rear arm rest, so could look legit?

I'm sure you'd get away with cutting it out, and fitting some generic plastic trim, like a U shaped profile (classic cars used it on exposed spot weld seams on the interior usually).

The flap of fabric behind your armrest it only held up with Velcro anyway, so should look factory enough.

Edited by Allanw

I have some DLS MS5A 5.25inch Components Spare, they require 58mm Mounting Depth, does anyone know if these will fit in the front doors? also the tweeter needs to fit in the stock location ideally. but not essential.

factory runs 5.25 so these shouldn't be an issue nor any aftermarket tweeters however for good sound improvement I would recommend going larger.

There's plenty of room in e39 doors for 6.5s.

Then I purchased a Euro Band expander, which seems to work well and has no reception issues, as its designed to be used with active antennas.

All band expanders are crap, they all reduce sensitivity and selectivity

Depending on the age of your E39, you may not need a band expander at all

All E39s built after Sept 2001 have a world-radio and with the push of a few buttons, you can change the radio from Japanese mode to European mode. And then it works perfectly

For cars built before that date, I recommend swapping the radio 8or radio module, depending on the type of sound system fitted) from the Japanese model to the Euro model.

Replacement radio modules can be found on ebay. And they can be gotten for very good prices.

Remember: band expanders are crap, and they make the BMW radios work especially poorly.