Sign in to follow this  
Dimmer

Keyless lock/unlock e46 2001

Hi there, I have a 2001 318i e46 black.

My problem is that my key sometimes plays up.. When I try lock the car with the lock button, it locks it then right away unlocks it again... I have to press the lock button around 3 - 6 times for it to lock because of this. Sometimes maybe even more times for it to stay locked. Also sometimes when I start to drive, normally it should lock all the doors as i drive off... Lately it locks as im driving off, then unlocks instantly???? Any suggestions please? :blink: By the way I tried to resync my key by putting it in ignition then turning once, taking it off and holding unlock then pressing lock x 3 then release... did nothing.

If someone could help out that would be much appreciated :):D:rolleyes:

Have your GM5 module scanned for errors. The GM5 is the module which controls the central locking system.

It doesn't sound like the age old locking relay issue which basically kills the central locking all together. Which is heat related (worse in summer)

We need to know which city you live in so cant recommend anyone to help.

The drivers door barrels on these cars fail and cause the switch to missaline inside the door. Is the door barrel stiff to operate and does it feel smooth in it's operation ? The central body control relays also give problems. Could be either...or something else. I'm fixing one at the moment. We do 5-6 a month

Edited by *Glenn*

^^^^^ Yep. My guess in this case (from your description) is the drivers door lock barrel assy. As Glenn says - a very common occurence in the E46

The one we did yesterday is now all sorted. Showing the customer auto open and auto close window function with the remote key this morning , the L/H rear window regulator failed... god I love BMW's.. $$$

Thanks for all your replies guys. Ill try sort this thing out. Much appreciated. I now have another issue to sort out... My airbag light is constantly on. It happened when my mate (whos quite heavy) sat in the passenger seat, I have a feeling he may have broken the sensor under the passenger seat?